German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
-When I am getting ready to take her outside ..like the time it takes to put on jacket , hat etc . This also involved biting at pants/shoes/ankles
-Getting her dinner ready
Barking in general can be self reinforcing, but in cases like the above, where she's barking because she wants something, simply freezing until she stops can be very powerful. You don't even need to turn your back or leave the room, just go completely still and when she stops barking start moving again. Off/on, driven totally by her behavior. Don't look at her, don't talk to her, she's the invisible dog. You might get an extinction burst, where she tries harder and harder to get your attention because it's always worked in the past, but at some point she'll figure it out and give up. The longer this has gone on, the more durable the behavior may be and the longer it will take to extinguish, but consistency is extremely important. Dogs do what works.

She's not just going to grow out of bad behavior, and barking like at squirrels in the yard or people walking dogs past your house is self reinforcing so ignoring it isn't going to help. It's plenty fun without any attention or interaction by you. But demand barking is different because she wants something from you. Negative attention is still attention. She barks and maybe runs around or jumps on you when you're preparing her meals? It's gonna take longer for her to eat. She'll figure that out pretty fast, my dogs always have. As GSD07 mentioned, build training and impulse control into everything you can think of. Make it default behavior, where you don't even need to cue it at some point, although you may have to at first. Once you've shown her, the responsibility is on her to know what to do to earn what she wants, you shouldn't need to nag her about it. By 14 weeks old Halo was sitting automatically and looking at me while I made her meals, set the bowl on the floor, and waited for me to release her to eat. Because if she didn't, I picked the bowl back up and waited for her to sit and look at me again. She was extremely food driven so she was especially motivated to figure out how to get her meals as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Put her barking on cue.
???
Also I don't have any duration on her sit/mat/place yet and need to work on that.

I would incorporate little training and impulse control games into everything. For chewing I‘d use redirection, waiting to go outside - little games like tossing a cookie, a ball, catch, touch it etc, for dinner - stationing on a bed or mat, too much energy - play and obedience games Put her barking on cue. Barking is absolutely self reinforcing so I would not just ignore but I also would not want to squash that little defiant spirit either.
I do much of that. But yes I'm absolutely looking at where I can incorporate more fun things that require patience. She does have to sit before going out/in. The problem is how excited she gets when I'm getting jacket on etc. Someone else suggested put it on / take it off/don't go out - a few times so she learns to chill and not anticipate.
To break the meal barking I step out of the room behind the baby gate with my back to her. When she's quiet- I come back in with "good quiet" and she will sit and wait at that point.
For the biting at hands/legs I have resumed holding her collar/scruff at the sides - but I realized she was feeding on my getting irritated and getting amped up - so now I have found a way to make it totally neutral and not harsh or cross. Honestly I say out loud (because it helps me) "this is really boring - aren't you bored yet ?" in the most neutral boring voice I can. Her biting attempts have been much less today and a couple of times she went for the pant leg and self corrected.
I've also just started the game where I have a treat in my hand and she needs to leave it and look at me to get it or I close my hand again. I was thinking once she nails it consistently I can add a little duration.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does your breed keep her dogs in the home or are they kept in an outdoor kennel?
Her dogs are in heated kennels and indoor/outdoor runs and I guess Jamie spent her first 8wks listening to barking dogs. The breeder has a lot of dogs and it was crazy loud when I went to pick Jamie up. Her Dam was in another large kennel in the smaller kennel room behind a much larger kennel room plus a large open space to run around indoors. Kinda like the maternity ward I guess. They have lots of heated kennels indoors and outdoor kennels and large areas to run . It's on a huge farm and nice set up but loud. Her Dam was going nuts barking and jumping at her kennel when I was there. Very high drive and the breeder said that's just how she is in kennel.
I wondered if this had an impact since not only Jamie a barker .... she is also quite apprehensive about dogs in the neighborhood barking - which we are working through.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Her dogs are in heated kennels and indoor/outdoor runs and I guess Jamie spent her first 8wks listening to barking dogs. The breeder has a lot of dogs and it was crazy loud when I went to pick Jamie up. Her Dam was in another large kennel in the smaller kennel room behind a much larger kennel room plus a large open space to run around indoors. Kinda like the maternity ward I guess. They have lots of heated kennels indoors and outdoor kennels and large areas to run . It's on a huge farm and nice set up but loud. Her Dam was going nuts barking and jumping at her kennel when I was there. Very high drive and the breeder said that's just how she is in kennel.
I wondered if this had an impact since not only Jamie a barker .... she is also quite apprehensive about dogs in the neighborhood barking - which we are working through.
I personally prefer to buy from breeders that have their dogs living with them in their home. Since I will be living with the dog in my home, not keeping them in a kennel, I want a dog that's basically been bred to live in that environment. A breeder that lives with their dogs is less likely to select dogs that bark a lot, won't settle, ect... vs. a breeder whose dogs live in a kennel simply won't care if they dogs bark 24/7, spin, pace, can't settle because they aren't affected by the behavior. Now I am sure there are plenty of puppies who have gone from a kennel environment to a home and done just fine, but I like to stack the deck in my favor.

A dam's behavior also has a huge impact on puppies. If the puppies were raised with a dam that barked a lot in the kennel then that was their very first exposure to how to behave in a kennel and toward stimuli. There are studies about how stress affects puppies, not just after they are born, but also in utero.

Here is a quick article about it:
Perinatal Period and Puppy Development

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A dam's behavior also has a huge impact on puppies. If the puppies were raised with a dam that barked a lot in the kennel then that was their very first exposure to how to behave in a kennel and toward stimuli. There are studies about how stress affects puppies, not just after they are born, but also in utero.
So does that mean she is permanently hard wired this way ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
We had a very strange walk in the field tonight. There were 2 older dogs leaving as we got there. She is not so apprehensive anymore about dogs and I felt we were making progress. We were doing some off leash recalls but she then picked up the scent of these dog and got amped - trying to hump my leg and jumping/nipping at my sleeve. We have been there many times and she doesn't act like this. The only thing that changed was the dogs were there just before us. I put her leash back on and held her off my body and moved away to a less scented area where she was herself again.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
My 6 year old was a little over the top. Barking when I out a collar on, put her in or out of the crate and if my husband walked the other dog ahead of her, so awful. It took patience and . not giving in to her. She loves walks, couldn't go if she was noisy, wanted out of the crate, not if she was noisy. It was almost like she leaked noise and couldn't contain herself. The only time it shows it's ugly face is on hikes with her Sis leading the way, I just shut her down and she's good. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I am a big believer in working with the dog and not going against their personality. Right now you should spend a lot of time observing her, learning how she responds to different triggers, training, corrections, and not just focus on 'obedience'. She's a baby with a very short attention span so you'll have to work with that. Barking on cue - you say 'speak' and she barks. Then you say 'no speak' - and she's quiet. Ask her to bark when it's convenient, let her do it because if she's a barker by nature you cannot just take it away from her.

What games do you play with her? If you were stuck with her for half an hour in an elevator, would you be able to keep her engaged? Can she chase a cookie? Toss a cookie, put a hat on, toss another cookie in a different direction. She runs back and barks, play touch, put a jacket on. Ask her to find her ball, put shoes on while she's looking for her ball. Something like that. Don't expect her to have a self control of an adult dog. Meal time is a perfect time to work on duration and slow food delivery. My current pup is 11 months old. When I start putting my hiking shoes on he just drops next to me and waits. Automatic down stay lol , a leftover from his puppyhood when he was biting my shoes, shoelaces, hands, and that ended up being our solution for that particular situation.

Biting, overall my advice will not work because my current puppy was so extreme with biting that I really just had to wait it out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
So does that mean she is permanently hard wired this way ?
From what you have said about her, yes, there is likely a big genetic component as well. It sounds like she is a high drive puppy from high drive lines and is not going to be an easy puppy to raise. Be very mindful of how you interact in certain spaces. I personally never play high arousal games like fetch or tug in the house or do training that gets a dog amped up. I want being inside to = being calm. Doing stuff that gets your dog aroused inside can send mixed signals, sometimes they can be wild and crazy and your fine with it and other times they get corrected for it. Check out Denise Fenzi's FB page. She has been raising a Terv puppy and has posted a lot of videos of training sessions and also made posts about how she has been addressing issues like over arousal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like maybe it is genetic from her dam. Millie's dam was brought to me but was calm when she met me. Your Jaime sounds a lot higher drive as well at 14 weeks. Did Christina mention anything about the personality of her dam and sire?

At 14 weeks, mine couldn't care less about walks, food, or being told off. She spent most of her time lying around... chewing her bones or sleeping. She's 6 months and still low drive.... lies around all day.

Is the barking high pitched or a loud serious bark?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts