German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are due to pick up puppy in 2 weeks :wub::wub:.. YIKES!!! :help::help: :wild::wild:

We are feeding raw, I don't want to buy treats, I want to make it for him. Do you have any recipe/suggestions?

How long does dried liver last in a jar for example? If I make it this weekend, will it go bad in 2 weeks time?

How about freezing the dried liver then put them in the jar once puppy is here, is that advisable?

What other home made treats have you all done?

The reason I want to start early is because I have a 2 year old as well, as you all know puppies and toddlers requires and demands full attention.

My credit card is feeling the pain, I just ordered a bunch of toys etc for him. His box of goodies should be here by Friday. :wild: Also got him a Herm S stainless steel prong. I refused to use Zeus's stuff. :cry:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh loves the beef crunchies too, I make them all the time in large batches then I freeze small bags of them. I also make chicken jerky and it's ok but not as good as Kona's Chips- they're made in CA not China. Stosh loves Frosty Paws but they're hard to find in my area so I've made my own with yogurt, peanut butter and honey, then freeze in ice cube trays.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
with a puppy, I wouldn't be giving to much "liver" anything right away,,liver can give a dog/puppy diarhea real fast if you overdue:)

You can also get something like Natural Balance Rolls, cut up into tiny tiny pieces, and I like the recipe above vs liver

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom Thumb has great prices on their beef, I will make some this weekend. :)

It's funny how chicken is more expensive than beef here. I don't want to give too much beef so I'll will get some chicken as well.

Thankfully, my local dealer for green tripe is only 10 minutes away from my house! :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
As I am hands down the most anal person here about what goes in my dog's mouth, I cooked turkey thighs in the microwave, chopped them up into little pieces, and put them in baggies in the freezer. That way I could pull out a small amount at a time to keep in the frig and I didn't mind putting them in my mouth to spit at my dog.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
I mix pumpkin and yogurt together and freeze it. It's a once a day kind of treat but the dogs love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts