German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello not sure if this is the right sections. I have a 4 year old german shepherd that I was feeding purina pro chicken and egg grain free most of his life. He was getting pretty fat even though he exercises daily. I switched him to easy raw dehydrated food free range beef and sweet potato and he loved it and thinned out within a couple days. But at 85 bucks a week, it is just to pricey for me. I went to petsmart and they recommend blue buffalo lamb and brown rice saying it was similar in nutrition as the dehydrated food. His first meal back on kibble within a couple hours he seemed as if he were bloated/fat. He is still being playful, not drinking a ton of water, normal amounts and not drooling. Is there a reason why kibble is doing that to him? Any recommendations on a different diet similar to the easy raw dehydrated food.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
The Sojo's original "Mix a Meal" (with oats/rye/barley) is probably the most reasonably priced dehydrated base-mix on the market -- a 10# bag is about $30 but they sell up to 40# sacks for $90. It contains no meat -- you add whatever meat you want to it (e.g., ground chuck from the supermarket):
https://www.chewy.com/sojos-mix-meal-original-recipe-pre/dp/176432

I haven't fed it (I feed The Honest Kitchen), so I can't comment on how it feeds out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sojo's original "Mix a Meal" (with oats/rye/barley) is probably the most reasonably priced dehydrated base-mix on the market -- a 10# bag is about $30 but they sell up to 40# sacks for $90. It contains no meat -- you add whatever meat you want to it (e.g., ground chuck from the supermarket):
https://www.chewy.com/sojos-mix-meal-original-recipe-pre/dp/176432

I haven't fed it (I feed The Honest Kitchen), so I can't comment on how it feeds out.

Thank you for the reply. I was looking into the honest chicken as well. I might just have to sacrifice going back to the easy raw. It will be cheaper in the long run instead of paying expensive vet visits.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just get the lowest carb dry dog food (low in grains, potatoes, peas, etc. - that's what adds the weight) and feed at a lower rate and add some cheap home cooked meat and/or eggs to supplement the kibble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts