German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our beautiful 10 yr old GSD Diego has sadly gotten progressively worse with his Degenerative Myelopathy. As we would all know, deciding when to euthanise is one of the most difficult decisions to ever make. We are aware that it is going to have to happen soon but we are still not sure whether there is still hope for improvement or having him for longer.
He still plays, chases birds away and eats the way he always has, except he drags his legs behind him and now struggles to get up. We just don't know when is time? Is it cruel for us to want to keep him? How do we know if he's in pain?

We've had some people tell us we shouldn't euthanise soon and others saying there's no need - we have booked it 2 weeks from now and haven't had a day without tears ever since booking.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My vet told me that DM usually comes down to what the owners can take, not the dog.
It is a deeply personal decision.
I opted to euthanize Sabi while she was still able to move herself. She was a proud and independent old girl who hated needing help and was horrified at her own weakness.
Some dogs do well with the carts, mine was not one of them.
It was a gut wrenching, soul crushing decision.
DM is a thief that steals your dog one heartbreaking piece at a time. Watching it changed me.
Take lots of pictures.
I wish you peace

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you. This is truly personal for the individual owner(s) and dog. I have always believed it's quality of life over quantity of days. For me they deserve death with dignity. More often then not we keep them too long out of our own need, sense of sorrow or guilt of ending the life of a living, loving being.
You know your dog. You love your dog. You'll do what's best in whatever time frame that turns out to be.
My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
My vet told me that DM usually comes down to what the owners can take, not the dog.
It is a deeply personal decision.
I opted to euthanize Sabi while she was still able to move herself. She was a proud and independent old girl who hated needing help and was horrified at her own weakness.
Some dogs do well with the carts, mine was not one of them.
It was a gut wrenching, soul crushing decision.
DM is a thief that steals your dog one heartbreaking piece at a time. Watching it changed me.
Take lots of pictures.
I wish you peace
My dog did not have DM, she had another chronic issue too complicated to say here. But degenerative and nerve related too. I agonized the same way you are. An article popped up in my FB feed and I tried to find it to link it here and I could not. But the gist of it was "what are you waiting for?" If you are putting off euthanasia in a terminal dog, what are you waiting for? I booked it and cancelled once. I put it off to a time when schedules were calmer and we had more time to spend with her. She still ate, and played, but she also suffered. Every week she enjoyed a little less and suffered a little more. What Sabi said above "She was a proud and independent old girl who hated needing help and was horrified at her own weakness" described my dog pretty perfectly too. I felt that she did not want to lose it all. That is not time she would want.

In our case, like in yours, there was no hope of improvement. I'm not sorry I put it off the one time because we had some really good (good by the standards of where we were) weeks. At the point where we were, the last and only thing I could do for her was to make possible a peaceful and dignified passing. So we booked it 2 weeks out just like you, made her last days as good as we possibly could. Whatever she was able to enjoy we did with her in spades. Then, we sedated her at home. The vet came to our house. She went to sleep in bed with myself and my husband and that was the last thing she knew. We should all be so lucky

We too were heartbroken the weeks leading up to the dreaded date. Sticking with it was maybe the hardest thing I've had to do in my life. Despite my broken heart at losing her I had to be strong in order to give her the dignified exit that she deserved.

I could have kept her alive longer. I went and talked to the vet that week before her appt and I said that to him. I said I know I could keep her alive. But I don't think I should. He said not only do I not think you're wrong to let her go, I can't believe you made it this long.

I'll say something to you that I said about myself when I was going through it---NOBODY loved her more than me-- nobody wanted to be with her more than me. So when I felt like it's time, and I'm the last person who wants to be parted from her, then I know that is myself knowing that her time is up. You love your dog but have made the appointment. If you know what I mean.

That article summed it all up for me. What are you waiting for? I asked myself. The only single thing that was going to change was she was going to get much worse, and I had the ability to spare her that suffering.

That was my experience. There is no wrong answer. I wish you strength and peace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts