German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. Wow I haven't been on this site in years, it sure helped me years ago so I thought I would find you all again. My almost 9 year old female GS was just diagnosed with DM. Obviously devastating but we are working through this. She can't go down stairs at all but can still go up as long as we are behind her to make sure she doesn't fall. To go down she uses a ramp but we have to have sides on the ramp or else her back end will fall off. She still goes for walks, not as long as she use to but she still enjoys it. My questions is: Can anyone recommend some good dog boots that I can buy. I want to get something very soon before her knuckles get any sores and before her nails wear down to the quick. I need something that will be sturdy because she is dragging her back paws, but at the same time something that will stay on and won't make her walk worse than she does now. I have tried 2 kinds so far and they are not good. So any advice people can give me will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
looking back on your past posts, I would say spondylosis is the cause of your dogs issues not so much DM. I know that has nothing to do with your question for boots, but many dogs that have spine or arthritis are diagnosed with DM, which really can't be proven until a necropsy is done.
I hope you find the right boots for her. I just lost my female Onyx because she lost control of her rear end, it wasn't DM however.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking back on your past posts, I would say spondylosis is the cause of your dogs issues not so much DM. I know that has nothing to do with your question for boots, but many dogs that have spine or arthritis are diagnosed with DM, which really can't be proven until a necropsy is done.
I hope you find the right boots for her. I just lost my female Onyx because she lost control of her rear end, it wasn't DM however.
Her vet took x-rays and manipulated her back end and touched her everywhere, no pain. He is convinced it is DM and I do trust him. After looking at videos of dogs with DM on the Internet, I am convinced that's what it is. It came on very fast and is progressing fast. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmmm i have some what of the same issue. my gsd went through surgery for spondylosis after the surgery he went through several months of rehab. he was doing well but then regressed. now he doesn't walk but has feeling in his feet, he will react and kick if he is scratched so that tells me that there is signal coming from the brain to react to my touch. but he just wont walk... he is totally limp when i carry him but as im carrying him he will kick when his feet are stimulated. his vet believes its dm but cant not confirm. a dna test shows 2 genes for the dm...but again vet is unsure. im hoping for someone to help me with some feedback.. im at wits end here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Her vet took x-rays and manipulated her back end and touched her everywhere, no pain. He is convinced it is DM and I do trust him. After looking at videos of dogs with DM on the Internet, I am convinced that's what it is. It came on very fast and is progressing fast. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

same here. my vet, based on observation concluded that my dog has DM. but my vet cant figure out why my dog reacts to getting pinched on his feet or reacts when i scratch his back...he will kick and wag his tail...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts