German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! New poster here.

I brought home an 11 week old GSD female yesterday and so far so good. She's not had an accident inside yet and is already attached to me and my family.

I've owned several dogs in my lifetime but never a GSD. There is a lot of information floating around out there on training techniques but I came here hoping to get the best info possible.

I want a confident, happy dog that is going to protect my family when I'm not home (I work nights). I also don't want a dog that's going to fly off the handle and bite a stranger or another dog. Where do I start? Is there a sticky thread for this?

We went on our first walk today for about ten minutes and she did great. By the end she was ready getting the hang of the leash. We're trying to get her on a good potty schedule now and also attempting to get her used to eating at specified times instead of just leaving food out.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I look forward to speaking to other proud and knowledgeable GSD owners.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1 >>>>> some GSD's are protective some aren't. if i wanted a GSD
to be protective i would find a trainer. find out what you have to
do with a 11 week old pup to get started in protection and when
does that type of training start.

2 >>>>> when my pup was 11 weeks old we were going out
every 10 to 15 minutes and that time slowly became every 1/2
hour and so on. overnight my pup was out every 2 hours and every
2 hours became every 3 hours and so on.

3 >>>>> i fed my pup 3 times a day. 1 cup in the am, 1 cup noonish
and 1 cup in the pm. i aslo gave him a snack throughout the day
plus training treats.

Hi guys! New poster here.

I brought home an 11 week old GSD female yesterday and so far so good. She's not had an accident inside yet and is already attached to me and my family.

I've owned several dogs in my lifetime but never a GSD. There is a lot of information floating around out there on training techniques but I came here hoping to get the best info possible.

1>>>>>I want a confident, happy dog that is going to protect my family when I'm not home (I work nights). I also don't want a dog that's going to fly off the handle and bite a stranger or another dog. Where do I start? Is there a sticky thread for this?

We went on our first walk today for about ten minutes and she did great. By the end she was ready getting the hang of the leash.

2 >>>>> We're trying to get her on a good potty schedule now and

3 >>>>> also attempting to get her used to eating at specified times instead of just leaving food out.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I look forward to speaking to other proud and knowledgeable GSD owners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Since posting that she's gone to the back door, scratched to be let out, and immediately peed TWICE. Whoo hoo!!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
For books, I suggest you read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts