German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, yeah, I know this is a vet question and ugh, the issues with vets around here...the two local places are not taking new clients and the vet I had been using, in the next town, has a long wait period AND I'm still sore about how they gave us the cold shoulder when Willow had 5 days of bad diarrhea...so yeah, still dealing with the plethora of pets and dearth of vets in this little town.

Anyway, I've had Willow for 5 months now and especially this last week I feel like her energy level has really dropped. Or maybe it's her anxiety level, I dunno. Could this just be a normal part of the adjustment period? Like, it took 5 months but she's finally kinda relaxing?

I feel guilty sometimes because she's in her crate for about 15 hours per day (including nighttime), and yet lately in the evenings she's less anxious, less interested in play, seems content to go into her crate and sleep some more or lie in her bed at my feet and sleep some more. On walks, she's still pretty energetic when we first start out but by the time we're done, she seems utterly pooped.

She's about 3.5 years old.

I did make a slight diet change recently, in that I'm exchanging about 1/2 cup of dry food for 1/2 a can of wet food per day (at dinner); it's how we fed my childhood dog and I'm finding stuff online that says a wet/dry food combo is good. But that's it. She is still really excited about food, no change in appetite, no diarrhea or vomiting or anything, no noticeable weight loss or gain.

She also was spayed 3.5 months ago so maybe part of this energy change is the lack of hormones? I dunno.

I will try to make an appointment with the vet ASAP; I never have gotten Willow a standard checkup since I got her, so it'd be good to have her bloodwork done at least. She did receive Panacur when she had the diarrhea, so hopefully parasites aren't the issue (especially this time of year).

·
Registered
167 Posts
It sounds like you have already thought about the possibilities as to why she might seem lower in energy, and if you are still worried then yes the vet would be a good idea. There could be many things going on, not sure on the history of your girl and if she was health tested before you got her? My girl is super high energy and only acts lethargic when she is in heat (otherwise I would be worried). It would be good to have a baseline for her blood work even if everything is fine :) Hopefully it goes well and everything is as it should be!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts