German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me tell you what Wolfie has been up to last night and this morning. It all started after I gave him a bath. Last night, he was very mouthy. He wouldn't stop biting any of us. He hasn't done that much biting in a long time. Later on, when all was quiet, I got off the couch to get something. Wolfie followed me, as usual, but when he saw I was headed back to the couch, he ran past me, and jumped up on the couch where I was sitting. He knows that he isn't supposed to be on the couch. I told him "off" and he got right down. This morning, I got him out of the crate, and when I went to the door to take him outside, he ran away from me. He was being playful, wagging the tail, and crouching down at me as if to say " chase me! " I chased him for a few minutes, because who can resist the butt in the air with the tail wagging a mile a minute. :) I finally got a hold of him, and took him outside. By this time it was 9 am. I was out there for a good 20 minutes with him. He wouldn't pee or poop. He sniffed around, and when I tried to walk him to his area, he wouldn't go. I walked him around a few times, and nothing. I put him on his run, and went inside to make his food. I watched him the whole time he was out there to see if he did any pee or poop, but still nothing. After making his food, I went out and got him, walked him around some more, and still nothing. I would have walked him down the street, but I am still in my pajamas at this point. I took him in and told him to go eat. He wanted to run around and be chased again. He ran upstairs, another no no, and I had to go get bring him down. He knows very well, he isn't supposed to go upstairs, and he's usually good about it. He came down and ate most of his food. He ate enough that I am not concerned about his appetite, but he didn't lick the bowl clean. Then he starts wandering around and crying. I got his leash, and he wanted to play chase again. This time I didn't play, put his leash on, and took him out. He did a normal pee and came back in. No poop yet, but sometimes he doesn't poop first thing. I am wondering if he is being defiant with all the biting and bad behavior, to the point that he's holding his urine. Like is he saying " I will go when I want to and not when you tell me." or should I be watching him for sickness?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Not defiance, NORMAL PUPPY.

He may have figured out that if he poops/pees than the fun of outdoors is over and you always go inside.

If you can have him poo/pee and when he's done REWARD him with real ball/frisbee tears in the yard. Or have him pee/poo and run inside for a real reward of some yummy treat 100% of the time?

More exercise. More fun trick training. More rewarding what you want (not just taking it for granted).

AND HE MAY ALSO BE SICK........... so keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking about it, I don't reward him often for his good behavior. We usually do some fun things outside. Also we've been at our beach house all summer where the yard is fenced and he can run and chase things, dig, etc. We are home now, it's raining, and our yard is not fenced, so we haven't been doing fun outside stuff the past couple of days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts