German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some donated deer meat; it is pre pkg, & marked.

Today, "t-bone", but they were small; my question is I don't know what bones these are from on the deer, I don't feed weight bearing bones, so I don't know if these bones in the "round steak" ect are ok to feed?
today's bones were handled, feeding almost 3 yo GSD, 90#.

tx in advance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In my experience, even the non-weight bearing bones in deer tend to splinter in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Ezra will eat the "fan" end of a scapula ok but when it gets down to the base, it starts to splinter. Whenever I feed deer (which I too get often as a donation), I take the bones up within a little while of him cleaning off the meat.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience, even the non-weight bearing bones in deer tend to splinter in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Ezra will eat the "fan" end of a scapula ok but when it gets down to the base, it starts to splinter. Whenever I feed deer (which I too get often as a donation), I take the bones up within a little while of him cleaning off the meat.
Ok, thank you for your reply, this is Exactly what I thought!!

In the past, I have just removed the bone from the meat before feeding, this is what I will continue to do.
(these are small pkg's, so easy to remove bone before feeding)

Again, Thank You for Reply!!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I've read several times the chances of trichinosis is higher with deer than it is with pork (b/c deer still get into trash and pigs can't be slopped anymore)

But you said packaged? Selling vinison is illegal here... or any "sport" game. Can you buy deer there?

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read several times the chances of trichinosis is higher with deer than it is with pork (b/c deer still get into trash and pigs can't be slopped anymore)

But you said packaged? Selling vinison is illegal here... or any "sport" game. Can you buy deer there?
No I didn't buy it, it was donated from a hunter.
It is pkg'd & marked from where he had it processed; I believe it is last years deer, he cleaned out his freezer for this years deer, & that is the meat I got "donated".
So the pkg's are marked: t-bone, tenderloin, ground meat, chops, round steak, ect.
I thought trichinosis was destroyed with the freezing, as in a month or longer?!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
No I didn't buy it, it was donated from a hunter.
It is pkg'd & marked from where he had it processed; I believe it is last years deer, he cleaned out his freezer for this years deer, & that is the meat I got "donated".
So the pkg's are marked: t-bone, tenderloin, ground meat, chops, round steak, ect.
I thought trichinosis was destroyed with the freezing, as in a month or longer?!
When you said packaged, I thought you were implying grocery store.

Looking at wikipedia... it depends on the specific strain.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Trichnosis only comes from the animal eating uncooked MEATS. Deer rarely eat meat of any kind so I would think the chances would be very slim.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Trichnosis only comes from the animal eating uncooked MEATS. Deer rarely eat meat of any kind so I would think the chances would be very slim.
Its probably remarkably rare... I've eaten lots of rare venison myself without much thought... but the CDC does warn against it. PS, i'm a raw diet advocate, and quasi-practitioner.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've given the kids raw deer meat. Never had a problem, and have never seen their eyes get so big lol. I do only give them the meat, since we get it from my father in law, the bones are already in the garbage. Plus freezing the deer meat for a while will kill the trich!

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Lauri; I think the only concern for deer is that "wasting" disease that they can get, & in that case, just not feeding brain or spine (which for me would include necks that I do feed) but so far this disease has not been noted in my area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts