German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do to keep horse and deer flies off your dogs in the summer? Remi is getting eaten on our walks. I have a citronella spray that is used for horses, but it is not working. His ears get attacked and to the point of getting bloody.

·
Super Moderator
2,549 Posts
The clear kind of SWAT, comes in a blue tub, you can find it in the horse aisle of TSC or order it online. It leaves a greasy residue like chapstick but it works on their ears. I don’t know why the flies are so bad this year, they’re terrible...

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
HATE those little buggers!

Nothing will keep them completely away but I put a good coating of vaseline on their ears and use Herbal Armor All Terrain which contains the most effective Essential Oils that ward off many different bugs and does not contain deet.

There is an Herbal Armor for Pets, but it contains the exact same ingredients: https://www.walmart.com/ip/All-Terrain-Pet-Herbal-Armor-Insect-Repellent-4-Oz/22154462?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
I used a product called Equisect years ago on my horse. It was the only thing I found that was actually effective.

Looks like Farnam has a roll on with the same active ingredient. I would make sure that the dog can not lick this off. I know it says it's safe for dogs but chemicals are chemicals even when they are derived from a natural source.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We have a lake house where the deer flies up on the road can be unbearable for a solid month at least. I mean drive you running home unbearable. You can have 5 or a dozen around you at once.

My daughter in law suggested it and it may sound/look odd but I started carrying one of those little batter/electric fly swatters (tennis racket sized). Deer flies buzz around the dogs heads for awhile before landing and you literally just arm the racket wiht the tough of a button and wave it over their heads.

Zap ZAP ZAAAPPP! It fries the suckers instantly; very very satisfying...

It doesn't bother the dog at all in fact I think he likes it as he's figured out what it does. The best part is that after you nail a few in seconds, the deer flies seem to figure out there's a predator about and take off. I seldom have more than 1 or 2 the rest of the walk. It's been a lifesaver.

You can get them at Walmart type places for under $15. Maybe dollar stores too?

Use herbal sprays to ward off ticks perhaps but forget it for flies.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Oh, yes- those tennis racket zappers are awesome for hikes! My Dad loves those things!

Thanks for the rec of SWAT. I'll make a run to TSC. I've been going to elevation to run the dogs, it appears the deerflies must sensitive to elevations above, like 1200 ft? Maybe it is just the dryness, I don't know... But for closer runs, I'll need to get something because my poor boy has big black ears and he gets swarmed and bitten. My older blond dog, doesn't get bitten much- they really are sensitive to color, the flies.

I tried just the DEET and it did nothing.I tried natural and it did nothing. I'll get that fly ointment, and give it a whirl at lower elevations, where the flies swarm.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendations. The products like swat, do you leave it on the ears or take it off once back in the house?

I currently use this product, doesn't seem to work. BugGone All Natural Insect Control - Equinature

I like the idea of a spray, I might try the equisect.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh, yes- those tennis racket zappers are awesome for hikes! My Dad loves those things!

Thanks for the rec of SWAT. I'll make a run to TSC. I've been going to elevation to run the dogs, it appears the deerflies must sensitive to elevations above, like 1200 ft? Maybe it is just the dryness, I don't know... But for closer runs, I'll need to get something because my poor boy has big black ears and he gets swarmed and bitten. My older blond dog, doesn't get bitten much- they really are sensitive to color, the flies.

I tried just the DEET and it did nothing.I tried natural and it did nothing. I'll get that fly ointment, and give it a whirl at lower elevations, where the flies swarm.
Color really is a thing.

My black and tan (much darker ears ears) gets swarmed and my black and silver (light tan ears) might have one around him. That's why they tell hikers to wear light colored clothing

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Color really is a thing.

My black and tan (much darker ears ears) gets swarmed and my black and silver (light tan ears) might have one around him. That's why they tell hikers to wear light colored clothing
what!? i thought it was to see ticks easier 🤔

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fortunately for us deer fly's are only a problem in the woods...not in our yard.

Before exercising Saint on the 4 wheeler I spray my visor with whatever mosquito spray I have available. Then I spray a cupped hand, wipe my hands together and gently/carefully cover the ears, forehead snoot of Saint.

He resisted at first but after forgetting to do it a few times then stopping to do it for emergency relief he realized the benefit of the spray.

Now when he see's the can in my hand he automatically sits for treatment.

As an aside the wifes silky shih tzu terrier that likes to ride on a fastened milk crate doesn't get bothered by the flys at all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
what!? i thought it was to see ticks easier 🤔
4. Wear light colors.
In addition to motion, deer flies and horse flies are attracted to dark colors, specifically blue, according to instructions on how to make a deer fly trap written by Russell Mizell at the University of Florida. And they don’t appear to be as attracted to light colors or white.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
OK...well my legs are pretty pasty white and that doesn't seem to stop them.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
Dress like a Zebra. it confuses the bugs

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
Dress like a Zebra. it confuses the bugs
1595536676225.png

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't have any advice on how to keep them off my dog other than the electric Fly swatters. I noticed that the flies seem to have territories. So when i walked him i just tried to avoid those areas as much as possible.
Fortunately Though, Since we moved to SW AZ we haven't had to deal with them. Its too dry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts