German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a large store of antlers. What do we need to do to them to make them safe for the dogs to chew on? Do they need to be boiled, washed? Or can we just cut them and hand them to the dogs?

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Just a wash to get the dirt off...although the dogs probably don't mind the dirt..but I do:)

I got a tip from Sunflowers on the board & started soaking mine in water for an hour or so...it just makes them a little softer.

Lucky you to have a friend that has them!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. She has an enormous amount if them. She had no idea they could be dog chews. Her husband has been hoarding them for some unknown reason.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I wish I had a friend with lots of antlers:(

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if we get them cut down and clean, she will be selling them for a lot less than stores.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I was telling my Father how expensive the antlers are and he said he sees them all the time when he goes up to the ranch. He is going to bring some home for me. I'm very excited!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I will let you know when we get them cut down and cost and stuff. I am very excited myself. They are soooooo expensive here as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Deer Antlers

I would also be interested in buying some for our 5 shepherd. If you wouldnt mind opening up a side business lol, I'd be interested in purchasing some and having ship to here to the desert.

-Kyle

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So by the time my original friend got home her husband had sold them( he has a weird eBay business. But last week another friend mentioned her brother had a whole lot. So she us going to being them in cause he was just going throw them out.

If it pans out I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Antlers are VERY bad on the teeth - just an fyi. I've seen more than 1 fracture that needed a root canal or extraction.

I give my dogs stuff all the time I really shouldnt. But I know the risks. If I had a serious sport, competition, or working dog I would NOT risk the tooth damage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts