German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 4 year old working lines male gsd from the Czech Republic. About a year ago the dog developed a limp in his right hind leg. Over time the limp got worse. Dog was negative for tickborne disease & Rimadyl was prescribed. There wasn't any improvement so our dog was referred to an orthopedist for an exam & xrays. Knees & hips looked good but something was seen at L6-L7 so a neurologist was brought in. Dog was hospitalized & had an mri. Results indicated mild arthritis at L6-L7 & inflammation in the right deep gluteal muscle. Recommendation was strict cage confinement & medication. Dog took a 3 week course of prednisone & is still taking tramadol, gababentin & hemp oil. Today is day 44. We bring him in every 2-3 weeks for rechecks & he really isn't improving. The recommendation is to redo the mri. Our heads are spinning. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,484 Posts
I know a bit about human arthritis that may apply. Applying heat relieves pain.One would think cold compresses would relieve swelling,but arthritis responds well to heat.Also low impact exercise like swimming and stretching,even walking in water.If movement is restricted the arthritic portion will freeze up and worsen.It gives you something to research further anyway. Best of luck with your boy as you figure out the next step.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this. You could talk with your vet about changing the Rimadyl to Previcox. My dog has osteo arthritis in an elbow. He is also prone to anal fistulas. When it flares, Rimadyl give better pain relief for fistulas, but Previcox gives better pain relief for the osteo arthritis. On Rimadyl he limps, on Previcox the limp is barely there. He can't be on Previcox and Rimadyl simultaneously. (I figure bum pain is worse than osteo pain, when he has a fistula).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a bit about human arthritis that may apply. Applying heat relieves pain.One would think cold compresses would relieve swelling,but arthritis responds well to heat.Also low impact exercise like swimming and stretching,even walking in water.If movement is restricted the arthritic portion will freeze up and worsen.It gives you something to research further anyway. Best of luck with your boy as you figure out the next step.
We do apply warm compresses & of course he loves a good back massage. But I forgot to mention the dog cannot bear full weight on his right hind leg & when pivoting off that side sometimes his paw barely touches the ground. Vets did not think the mild arthritis was enough to cause this. Muscle biopsy was mentioned but he hasn't gotten worse so they're leaning towards a injury since this dog was doing igp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry you're going through this. You could talk with your vet about changing the Rimadyl to Previcox. My dog has osteo arthritis in an elbow. He is also prone to anal fistulas. When it flares, Rimadyl give better pain relief for fistulas, but Previcox gives better pain relief for the osteo arthritis. On Rimadyl he limps, on Previcox the limp is barely there. He can't be on Previcox and Rimadyl simultaneously. (I figure bum pain is worse than osteo pain, when he has a fistula).
Thanks I'll talk to the vet at our next appointment. Our dog is not on Rimadyl right now only the gabapentin, tramadol & hemp oil. They stopped the Rimadyl because they wanted him on a steroid for 3 weeks. Which did nothing. Never had a young dog lame like this. Dog bunny hops when he runs yet his his hip xrays & hip exam did not reveal any issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 4 year old working lines male gsd from the Czech Republic. About a year ago the dog developed a limp in his right hind leg. Over time the limp got worse. Dog was negative for tickborne disease & Rimadyl was prescribed. There wasn't any improvement so our dog was referred to an orthopedist for an exam & xrays. Knees & hips looked good but something was seen at L6-L7 so a neurologist was brought in. Dog was hospitalized & had an mri. Results indicated mild arthritis at L6-L7 & inflammation in the right deep gluteal muscle. Recommendation was strict cage confinement & medication. Dog took a 3 week course of prednisone & is still taking tramadol, gababentin & hemp oil. Today is day 44. We bring him in every 2-3 weeks for rechecks & he really isn't improving. The recommendation is to redo the mri. Our heads are spinning. Any thoughts?
Arthritis is a common problem for dogs. This can seriously affect the quality of their lives as it brings pain, discomfort, and joint stiffness. As a fur parent, seeing your dogs in this situation is really heartbreaking. When my 5-year-old GSD started showing signs of arthritis my vet recommended using a joint supplement. So, I decided to give him Glyde Mobility Chews. It has the necessary nutrients to relieve the symptoms of arthritis. It can help fight inflammation, decrease cartilage degradation, and help rebuild cartilage.

·
Registered
33,943 Posts
So there is arthritis in the lower lumber and a limb being affected? Take him to a Neurosurgeon. Not the orthopedic. Nerve pathways are funny. One nerve can affect half a finger. Literally - as if the finger was split right down the middle with one side numb and the other side unaffected.

From my own experience with a blown disc, arthritis from chronic inflammation causing further nerve impingement - this is EXTREMELY painful. You are fighting two things - the impingement of nerves from the arthritis and chronic inflammation that is causing more arthritis and further impinging the nerve.

I'm assuming they checked him for a groin injury that could cause this as well? Have you worked with a physical therapist to strengthen his core and fix any imbalances? If you are in MD, yes, VOSM is used a lot for sport dogs and you have Petra Ford at Dog Resource Center available to you. She's the BEST PT. VRC in Malvern PA has a neurosurgeon as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine just got diagnosed with hip dysplasia

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arthritis is a common problem for dogs. This can seriously affect the quality of their lives as it brings pain, discomfort, and joint stiffness. As a fur parent, seeing your dogs in this situation is really heartbreaking. When my 5-year-old GSD started showing signs of arthritis my vet recommended using a joint supplement. So, I decided to give him Glyde Mobility Chews. It has the necessary nutrients to relieve the symptoms of arthritis. It can help fight inflammation, decrease cartilage degradation, and help rebuild cartilage.
My dog had an mri & xrays of his spine & while there are minor degenerative changes at L7 they feel his right deep gluteal muscle inflammation is really his issue. We go in for rechecks every 2-3 weeks. He's doing light walks & swimming right now. He doesn't exhibit any pain on exam & we're not seeing the stiffness. We put Springtime Longevity in his food wh a joint supplement soon. Right now he's still taking gabapentin & ElleVet hemp oil. I will check out the Glyde you recommended. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I meant I will check out the Glyde as well. Thank you
So there is arthritis in the lower lumber and a limb being affected? Take him to a Neurosurgeon. Not the orthopedic. Nerve pathways are funny. One nerve can affect half a finger. Literally - as if the finger was split right down the middle with one side numb and the other side unaffected.

From my own experience with a blown disc, arthritis from chronic inflammation causing further nerve impingement - this is EXTREMELY painful. You are fighting two things - the impingement of nerves from the arthritis and chronic inflammation that is causing more arthritis and further impinging the nerve.

I'm assuming they checked him for a groin injury that could cause this as well? Have you worked with a physical therapist to strengthen his core and fix any imbalances? If you are in MD, yes, VOSM is used a lot for sport dogs and you have Petra Ford at Dog Resource Center available to you. She's the BEST PT. VRC in Malvern PA has a neurosurgeon as well.
We have a neurosurgeon & orthopedist working in tandem on our dog's case. He had an mri, xrays & exams by the orthopedic & neurosurgeon. None of his disks are ruptured & they felt the arthritis was minimal & not impinging on any nerves. A neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon & a radiologist read the mri & xrays. Our dog also had an ultrasound & groin was checked out. He just started light walks & swimming after 60 days cage rest. We go Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in Tinton Falls, New Jersey. It's a specialty hospital like VOSM. I was thinking about checking out VOSM too because it something isn't adding up here. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts