German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for clubs online and I found a particular one that I like and the guy said I might be able to waive the fees if I learned to be a decoy. What is there to it? I mean I know there is more to it than meets the eye, but what is it exactly?
And also does it matter how big you are? I am not necessarily huge. I am 5'5" 135lbs I am an athlete, used to be a wrestler so I have more strength than the average person at this weight, I was just wondering thanks in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Size doesn't matter. Learning the mechanics might come easy for you, to truly learn to read and train dogs is an ongoing process. I'm guessing you'll like it given you were a wrestler....but make it about training the dogs, not a power trip or challenge for yourself. Also, do it because you like it, not to save money on training fees. Once you start learning helper work you'll know if it's something you want to continue, just like anything else.
Sue

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
+1

I'm oour clubs helper. The savings in dues are irrelevant compared to all the bumps and bruises, aches and pains, and the doing 100 times more work per training than anyone else. Bonus side is I get to learn dogs more withou having to do so through handling. I am a far better handler for being the fly on the wall for so many others dogs

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Being a good training helper also requires the right mind set. The best training helpers are more than just athletes going through the motions. It is a feeling, a mindset. It comes from inside that person. Heck, most of the best training helpers I know are not young anymore, but their skills and their ability to read the dogs and respond are so finely tuned that it doesn't matter.

Being a helper, especially a training helper, requires a strong desire to learn, to work your butt off and to want to make dogs the best they can be. The latter is where the return is. Not the savings in dues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts