German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

So, we have 2nd pick of the litter after the breeder and we have been given choice of two girls who I’m stuck between. Both very similar in temperament etc, however, one is a bicolour (I was initially set on a bicolour, which I think she is true looking at her toes and heels) and one is black but also love the way she has grown so far. Any opinions ?

Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Freezing

Dog breed Carnivore Snow Terrestrial animal Tail

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are going to visit them next week when it’s time to come home and most likely do this as we can’t decide based off looks alone because I like both likes wise 😅😊

Hope you can spend a few hours with the litter. Then choose the one YOU like best. What a luxury to have a choice like that. Just don't take them both!!!
[/QUOT

· Registered
2,490 Posts
The top pup will most likely be a blanket blk/tan.
please don’t base your wants on a color. What are your plans for your pup? Test each pup separately. For me I had the choice between 2 males both black. We chose the blue collar on the first visit at 6 weeks but at 8 weeks we chose Ozzy because I saw much better engagement with me, nice calm grips and standing g his ground no later what. Other pup was thrashing the toy, vocal.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
In the picture, the bi colored pup looks as though his left front foot is awfully flat. May just be the uneven ground. But the black pup seems to be standing more upright on his feet and possibly has straighter front legs.

Pictures can be very misleading though and they are standing on different surfaces so it's hard to compare them and make a fair judgement.

· Registered
123 Posts
Hi Everyone!

So, we have 2nd pick of the litter after the breeder and we have been given choice of two girls who I’m stuck between. Both very similar in temperament etc, however, one is a bicolour (I was initially set on a bicolour, which I think she is true looking at her toes and heels) and one is black but also love the way she has grown so far. Any opinions ?

View attachment 595777

View attachment 595776
I choose whichever one I liked the best and made me smile the most. I'm generally not interested in the mechanics of litter packs.
From what I believe is the case... The most confident dog that runs right up to you is generally going to be the most difficult one to train. And the one in the back that doesn't want to interact and may seem fearful will come with many behavioral issues. I've heard from breeding experts it's recommend to choose one in the middle that doesn't stand out.
But myself, I prefer selecting the most confident one that interacts with me the most. This tells me I'll probably have little issue dealing with socialization, fear, and aggression.
Training might be more difficult, but I'd rather deal with a stubborn dog than a dog with potential behavioral issues such as fear and anxiety.
I don't make this decisions based on what experts recommended, it's more of an impulse in what makes me smile!
The one thing I would avoid is any puppy that appears to be anti-social, fearful, or isolated. It's rolling the dice on how that puppy's temperament will develop over time.

· Registered
13,829 Posts
The ones I chose with my heart have been the best matches, becoming my heart dogs. Others, chosen with my brain, worked out and I loved them but not to the point of the ones that became my heart dogs.
I loved Bo from the time I met him as a 4 week old. His breeder waited until he was 7.5 weeks old before she paired him finally with me. She also had another one in mind for me but I told her that I wouldn't go home with any other pup but him. But I got him!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually thought bi-colour pup was looking quite light compared to her sister at 7 weeks who is a true bi-colour looking at how dark she is etc and doesn’t have any tan on her chest etc. the bi colour girl was born almost completely black! Had a small feeling she was going to be blanket b/t! Her dam is b/t blanket and dad is bicolour so it was a 50/50

We are looking for a sports dog, and the black pup seems to have better nerves etc so I think it’s her 😊🐾🖤

please don’t base your wants on a color. What are your plans for your pup? Test each pup separately. For me I had the choice between 2 males both black. We chose the blue collar on the first visit at 6 weeks but at 8 weeks we chose Ozzy because I saw much better engagement with me, nice calm grips and standing g his ground no later what. Other pup was thrashing the toy, vocal.

· Registered
13,829 Posts
Example: with our foster teenage human I went to the pound to pick a dog to foster. We agreed not to go for looks but for personality. We took a Chocolate raggedy looking Australian Shepherd type home that we both considered to be not pretty. She was a gem and actually looked great after a few weeks of care and training. Looks come after love. She ended up well and so did my teenage human foster girl.

· Registered
2,490 Posts
I actually thought bi-colour pup was looking quite light compared to her sister at 7 weeks who is a true bi-colour looking at how dark she is etc and doesn’t have any tan on her chest etc. the bi colour girl was born almost completely black! Had a small feeling she was going to be blanket b/t! Her dam is b/t blanket and dad is bicolour so it was a 50/50

We are looking for a sports dog, and the black pup seems to have better nerves etc so I think it’s her 😊🐾🖤

QUOTE="BigOzzy2018, post: 9401943, member: 470642"]
[/QUOTE]
Congrats. Go with what you see and feel.

· Registered
143 Posts
I tried the whole mechanics of picking a pup from the middle of the pack thing the first time around, but ended up taking the shyest, most skittish one there after she nuzzled her nose into my cheek and just sighed with happiness. It took a lot of work and confidence building but she turned into a wonderful confident dog who actually proved that she would have laid down her life before she let anything happen to me or my family. With my shepherd I had met both parents and I absolutely loved the dad's personality because he was almost a carbon copy of my last dog's dad, and that energy was exactly what I was wanting for what my plans were. I had gotten pictures of all the available puppies before I went to visit and pick, and I fell in love with my girl in the picture, and then when I went and the breeder said "that's the one I'm thinking for you", I picked her. That was at three weeks old, so it was kind of picking from a basket of potatoes lol, so I trusted the breeder's judgement and even though I've doubted then a few times, mostly the first six months since it was ****, it's turned out wonderful and she's everything I could have asked for even if she ended up being way more energy and drive than even her breeder was expecting!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts