German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help choosing from a few dog foods. I order my dog food through work (I work at a vet clinic) so its a little cheaper :D. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo but now they are only doing Wilderness Turkey and Chicken (I like Salmon and Duck better). So I Was doing some research to see what else we can get through order. The options are TOTW and Native. Ive heard a lot of good things about TOTW but dont know much about Native. Any suggestions?? :help:...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i have never heard of Native. TOTW my dogs like but its so expensive they only get about a half cup mixed with their regular kibble. I would suggest trying to find reviews for native. That might help you out some.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Never heard of Native. Until I research it a bit, I say TOTW. lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have never heard of Native. TOTW my dogs like but its so expensive they only get about a half cup mixed with their regular kibble. I would suggest trying to find reviews for native. That might help you out some.

I can get dog food at cost since I work at the clinic :happyboogie: otherwise I dont know if I could do it..atleast not for my dogs AND fosters lol. :wild:

Im looking into Native just for my knowledge..let me know if anyone hears anything about it, I think Im going to do TOTW...anyone have a preference on flavor

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have never heard of Native either so I don't know about that brand. I feed BB sweet potato/fish and TOTW salmon. TOTW has both a fish one(Pacific) and duck so that might be the route you can go. You could mix the two varietes together to still have the salmon and duck combo you like. I mix two kinds and all my dogs love it. You could mix and match until you find the combo that you like and your dogs do well on. TOTW has I believe 4 varieties but my store only carries 3.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Im definetly going with TOTW after looking into it...LOVE the ingredients and I can get it at the same price as BB wilderness. Im not a huge fan of Native's ingredients but they're website was pretty neat..the food is formulated by activity level. The food is designed for athletic and performance dogs. Interesting

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats about where I will get it at..I think its $32 if I remember correctly, so not a huge difference. But Im getting BB for $30 for 30lb and I think TOTW is just that much better...

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
My dog eats TOTW (it's all that his allergies will agree with) and we're impressed.

I didn't think it was that expensive ($43/30lb) compared to other brands though.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thats about where I will get it at..I think its $32 if I remember correctly, so not a huge difference. But Im getting BB for $30 for 30lb and I think TOTW is just that much better...
Wow those are great prices for BB. Where I live it is $48.99 for a 30 lb bag. Our TOTW is $42 a bag. So you are getting a great deal.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about rotating and blending? TOTW,Orijen,Natural,Wellness,EVO............
I've never been a huge fan with rotating foods. I just worry that if one of them develops a sensitivity or allergy than it makes it even harder to find out what caused it. Im sure the mixture of flavors is wonderful though lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've never been a huge fan with rotating foods. I just worry that if one of them develops a sensitivity or allergy than it makes it even harder to find out what caused it. Im sure the mixture of flavors is wonderful though lol
That's a big if and easy to pinpoint if the allergy begins with a new introduction. Both my boys were fed this way,high quality rotation,no finickness,no reactions. Just my ongoing experience.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I don't mix for the same reasons.

That's a big if and easy to pinpoint if the allergy begins with a new introduction. Both my boys were fed this way,high quality rotation,no finickness,no reactions. Just my ongoing experience.
It would suck if one developed an allergy after eating it for a while though, wouldn't it?

My dog developes new allergies all the time, so I have to be very careful of that.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I rotate between all 4 formulas of TOTW

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I rotate between all 4 formulas of TOTW
Guh, I wish I could. Frag's allergic to chicken (in two of their formulas) and was doing good on the pacific stream, then started itching just in time to switch over to the new formula. I don't know what we'll do if he starts itching on this, too. I've been meaning to get an allergy panel done on him, but it looks like I'm spending all of his money on his neuter/exam/x-rays/treatment for whatever is up with his leg now. :mad:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Guh, I wish I could. Frag's allergic to chicken (in two of their formulas) and was doing good on the pacific stream, then started itching just in time to switch over to the new formula. I don't know what we'll do if he starts itching on this, too. I've been meaning to get an allergy panel done on him, but it looks like I'm spending all of his money on his neuter/exam/x-rays/treatment for whatever is up with his leg now. :mad:
Oh, that sucks! Poor Frag!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts