German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking for a companion dog, German lines, medium coat. I'd like it to have a medium drive. I'm interested in Shutzhund, but right now don't know what kind of time I can commit to that, so I don't want to get a high drive dog that I am not able to give enough time to. The time commitment of normal walks, excercise, obediance training, and general care will keep us busy and be a good start for our first dog together. We do not plan on showing this dog or breeding.

I went to a breeder's spread this week and met the Dam that is in heat at the moment. Got to spend quite a bit of time with her. She is titled in Shutzhund and we went to a park where the breeder showed me some of her training. It was my first experience with this and was floored by it! It was a lot of fun! I was also very pleased with his answers to my my questions.

I don't know much about lines, but I'm sure there are people here who are knowledgeable about them. I'd like to get input on the sire and dam and their bloodlines. Please help me decipher these lines. Do you think the type of dog that these lines would produce would be similar to what I am looking for? Any thoughts, concerns or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dam, Tilda:
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/416760.html

Sire, Hardes:
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/444812.html

Thanks for your help,

Joe

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
These pedigrees are all German show lines. I can't comment on the individual dogs as I don't follow show bloodlines.

IMO, this looks like a good choice for a first GSD, and the sort of dog that is typical of German show lines should fit nicely with what you've said you're looking for in a dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chris. Its good to hear from an authority on the board.

Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Here is the Pedigree for the potential pups.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/para.utkoma?fadir=444812&modir=416760

What does the breeder think the pups will be like, what are they expecting.

If you like the breeder and like the female that is a good start. You might want to visit some more breeders and look at and talk to some working line people. Not all working line pups have off the wall drives. I have a Showline female that is only quite when sleeping, she wants to be on the go or have something to do all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I know some of the grandparents by association with other dogs and reputation....Lasso was suposed to be one of the most gorgeous dogs ever....Eros and Karly passed on good temperament and decent drives....both parents are titled according to the database, so should be decent temperament....fine for what you are looking for.

Lee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies......

Wisc.Tiger -

I did like the breeder a lot and enjoyed the female. I am definitely interested in visiting more breeders though, to give me a better perspective on things. I'm keeping my eyes open for breeders in my area.

Wolfstraum -

I'm glad to hear that you know some of these dog's grandparents. It's encouraging to know they have a good reputation.

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
to clarify - have not met the grandparents, but have met dogs with these bloodlines! The Wilmoth's Lucca Winnloh is a Karly Arminius son, and he is a very very nice dog (www.wilmothdogs.com) - Kirchenwald(.com) has had Eros Lusinstrasse lines, and Rapi Supra pups and I have met dogs with those lines...

Lee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lee -

Thanks for the clarification. I understood that you hadn't met the actual dogs and were speaking about their reputation, but looking back at my post, I sure didn't communicate that clearly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts