German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
A good German Shepherd will protect you to the best of their ability from an attack whether it is a Sch dog or not. A dog with un German Shepherd temperament will not protect you from an attack whether it is Sch trained or not. The German Shepherd by standard definition should protect and guard in its duties. This requires the breed to have a degree of active aggression and discerning ability to use it whether it is for family or flock. Many dogs bred today do NOT have this trait and whether they are sch trained or not will not protect you in a real situation.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I agree with Jklasky in dogs reading people. I always tell people in my lessons that the first thing they should understand is that your dog reads you better than you read your dog.(in most cases). Therefore, dogs read you to know when you are anxious or fearful or even excited by an approaching person or situation. Just like with a herding dog, the rabbit runs through the pasture, the sheep don't perceive it as a threat and neither does a dog. A coyote is on the fringe, the sheep get restless, and the dog goes on alert. He reads the sheep as he/she will their owner and protect if necessary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts