German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Name some decent 25-30 lb bags of kibble that cost around $30...

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

What pet food stores are in your area? Costco has Kirkland Signature for less than a dollar a pound. Tractor Supply has 4Health for around 1 dollar a pound. Both are good choices.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If you have a tractor supply near you, 4Health is quality.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a tractor supply and a Costco about 45 mins from me... I don't see any fruits or veggies on the ingredient list for 4 health. Is that right?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
I give 50/50 Extreme Athlete and Chicken and Rice. 25% fat and the high protein in EA is tempered some by the C&R. I think 29/20 is a bit better that 32/25.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Name some decent 25-30 lb bags of kibble that cost around $30...

Thanks
Diamond Naturals makes a 40 lb bag of quality kibble at $30. Nothing else beats it at that price point for a 4 star dog food! It comes to around 80 cents a pound per week, which is an excellent value for this amount of food. You can pay more for larger bags of 5 star food - if you have the money! Diamond though is hard to beat on a budget!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Whole Earth Farms made by Merrick has worked well for us and usually is about $35-40 for 35lbs. Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete also is one we usually rotate with and it costs about $35 for a 40lb bag.

Whole Earth Farms Adult Formula Dry Dog Food | Premium Natural Dog Food from Merrick

Extreme Athlete Dry Dog Food - Diamond Pet Foods
EA is slightly more expensive - a 5 star dog food that is a terrific value! But you can't go wrong with their Naturals line.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Diamond has said it has gotten it's act together and is doing additional testing. We used to use Nature's Domain (at Costco) and they said they are doing testing with an independent lab, I believe.
If you don't want to use Diamond, 4health grain free is made by another company - Ainsworth. The grain free varieties are $36.99/30 lbs, but you can often catch a sale for $5 off. Tractor has said they are looking at moving all their foods over to this company, but I don't know if they have done so yet.
I currently am using Dr Tim's Kinesis grain inclusive for one dog, and it runs $41.99/30 lbs. The other dog is using Horizon Pulsar which online is $44.99/25 lbs. I was using Wellness Core but I just couldn't keep paying $60-65/bag right now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Diamond has said it has gotten it's act together and is doing additional testing. We used to use Nature's Domain (at Costco) and they said they are doing testing with an independent lab, I believe.
If you don't want to use Diamond, 4health grain free is made by another company - Ainsworth. The grain free varieties are $36.99/30 lbs, but you can often catch a sale for $5 off. Tractor has said they are looking at moving all their foods over to this company, but I don't know if they have done so yet.
I currently am using Dr Tim's Kinesis grain inclusive for one dog, and it runs $41.99/30 lbs. The other dog is using Horizon Pulsar which online is $44.99/25 lbs. I was using Wellness Core but I just couldn't keep paying $60-65/bag right now.
Where did you hear that Tractor Supply was looking to move production of its grain variety 4Health to Ainsworth? Do you know whether they would keep the same formulas, or change the formulas if they switched to Ainsworth? I feed 4Heath and would hate to be hit with a surprise formula change.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Whole Earth Farms made by Merrick has worked well for us and usually is about $35-40 for 35lbs. Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete also is one we usually rotate with and it costs about $35 for a 40lb bag.

Whole Earth Farms Adult Formula Dry Dog Food | Premium Natural Dog Food from Merrick

Extreme Athlete Dry Dog Food - Diamond Pet Foods
The extreme athlete gave all 4 of my dog the runs as did Diamond Naturals. Just recently switched from Natures Recipe to Authority and they are doing fine with that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Where did you hear that Tractor Supply was looking to move production of its grain variety 4Health to Ainsworth? Do you know whether they would keep the same formulas, or change the formulas if they switched to Ainsworth? I feed 4Heath and would hate to be hit with a surprise formula change.
I heard it at Tractor Supply. I don't think it was definite yet. I don't know if they would change their formulas as they are TS's formulas and not Diamonds.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
The extreme athlete gave all 4 of my dog the runs as did Diamond Naturals. Just recently switched from Natures Recipe to Authority and they are doing fine with that.
Extreme Athlete is Diamond Naturals, which other variety did you try?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts