German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a place for all of our comments on the December 2010 monthly photo contest.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:shocked: CrookedCreek and Klatsky!!! GORGEOUS!!! Those are quality photos! Man, there's going to be some real competition this month, haha. :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow CrookedCreek- that is an incredible picture!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Klatsky I originally dismissed your photo as common place. But the more I look at it- the more superb I find it to be. It's perfectly exposed with just the right amount of bokeh in the background. The black/brown panel behind the tree complements the rest of the color palette in the photo nicely. The splash of white light on the dogs face (LED flashlight? Speedlight?) puts it over the top. I would be very proud indeed of such a photo. Really nice work!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Sheesh, you guys have such artistic abilities with a camera. I'll keep on entering photos in these contests, knowing the only vote I'll get is my own. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
WOW! So far, they are all great- but CrookedCreek- that picture could be ART! Just breathtaking!

·
2,967 Posts
Thanks! :) Flashlight. Pretty pleased with the result. We took it in the dark with just the Xmas tree lights, the flashlight, and a reading lamp. I was sure to put the unedited photo into the contest. I edited it to add a little more contrast and vibrancy in the one I posted to the pictures thread.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! :) Flashlight. Pretty pleased with the result. We took it in the dark with just the Xmas tree lights, the flashlight, and a reading lamp. I was sure to put the unedited photo into the contest. I edited it to add a little more contrast and vibrancy in the one I posted to the pictures thread.
I didn't see it in the pics section yet (the edited version). I'll have to go take a look. You know- it's kinda BS that there is a rule about no processing. I shoot in RAW, so I am required to do some post. All I did in mind was levels adjustment, but that's part of the raw conversion process. We should eliminate that rule in the next challenge.

·
2,967 Posts
Wildo, I keep looking at your picture trying to figure out what part of the dog is where! Great pose you captured.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I don't know. There is no mod for that section of the forum. I thought there were no contests until they get that straightened out.

I like that there is no photo changing. Some people do not have fancy cameras or programs to edit photos.
Oh ok.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wildo, I keep looking at your picture trying to figure out what part of the dog is where! Great pose you captured.
Thanks Klatsky! I saw her laying there and figured I had finally found an "interesting light" photo! I actually had three turn out really well, and had a hard time deciding on which to post here. I think I made the wrong choice, but it's subtle and not a huge deal. You can see my three candidates (originals) here [EDIT- I wish I would have choose the first of the three in my link. I choose the third, obviously.]

I don't know. There is no mod for that section of the forum. I thought there were no contests until they get that straightened out.
I like that there is no photo changing. Some people do not have fancy cameras or programs to edit photos.
You don't have to have fancy cameras or software to take a great picture. Photographers have been taking amazing shots with *much* crappier cameras than are integrated in most modern cell phones. But to say that you can't do the same things (albeit via software) as what photographers of yesteryear did in a dark room is pretty lame. It's part of photography- whether the photo is perfectly composed, or just a snapshot. (And I am in NO way a pro. I have a simple $300 Point & Shoot camera, and a little bit of software to get me by.)

As to the contest- I don't really know. What I do know:
  • Plenty of people were asking for the contest
  • November's winner choose a theme
  • This subforum is *not* a closed forum requiring a mod to create the thread (nor could I find any documentation to that point)

Whether the current Dec contest is deemed official or not is moot. No mod had made a thread with only 1.5 weeks left in the month- and no mod currently exists for this subforum. So what's the harm in a group of adults doing it themselves? Regardless of the authenticity of the contest- I personally have loved the beautiful shots uploaded so far, and hope to see many more before the year comes to a close!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Very nice theme - I normally do not participate in the photo contests but I like this one a lot. It is probably fruitless, though, with all the other fantastic pictures in the contest!

·
Registered
906 Posts
All the pictures are beautiful!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.