German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would I go about getting the pedigree of a deceased gsd? My female is to be bred to him through artificial frozen insimanation,the owner of the male assures me his pedigree can be obtained . He never obtained the pedigree at the time because he had no interest , My female is of high Quality and I would like registered pups.Is this possible? Also this is my first post and I want to thank you for allowing me into your group.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Why would you breed knowing nothing about the male’s pedigree? What is the purpose of the breeding? I would pass until you have a better prospect and a clear idea of your breeding goals. We usually recommend that someone new to breeding only breed if the person has prior breeding experience through working with a quality and experienced breeder.

You would need the registered names of the male’s parents to find the pedigree.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would think that a responsible sire owner would already have a copy of the pedigree. Most likely the sire was never
registered and the pedigree is not to be found.
Find a less sketchy sire owner.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
how would I go about getting the pedigree of a deceased gsd? My female is to be bred to him through artificial frozen insimanation,the owner of the male assures me his pedigree can be obtained . He never obtained the pedigree at the time because he had no interest , My female is of high Quality and I would like registered pups.Is this possible? Also this is my first post and I want to thank you for allowing me into your group.
If the dog was registered then you can easily get a pedigree. Either thru AKC, or you may be able to search the dog's name and find the pedigree online.

However, I'm confused on why you chose this dog to breed your "high quality" female to if you didn't know the pedigree of the male? Knowing the pedigree should have been a consideration in choosing the male. Has the dog been ofa'd or sv'd for hips and elbows? What is this dog bringing to the breeding to enhance your female?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
So you don't really care about the genetics, health and what temperament they may produce together? and what if she has 12 puppies? Do you have good homes for all of them? If a home can't keep a dog at some point, are you going to take the puppy back? If the pairing produces bad hips and elbows, are you going to refund money, or take the dog back? That's what responsible breeders do even if they aren't breeding for money or a show dog. Personally, if I want a great dog like the one I have then I will go back to the breeder I got him from. Breeding goes farther than just the puppy you want to keep.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Search here for the emergency puppy whelping threads. There are so many things you need to know to whelp puppies. Have you ever bred a dog before? An older female could have delivery problems. My friend had a champion rare breed female and had one litter. The mother got into distress at midnight and she had to rush the dog to an emergency vet, the bill to deliver the puppies for her and to save them and the mother’s life was enormous.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why are you the one taking on the task of obtaining a dogs pedigree that isn’t your own, instead of the actual owner who went out of their way to preserve semen? I would take a big pass as there are tons of studs out there with actual titles and VERIFIED registration. This would be a first step but there is so much that goes into breeding than simply pairing up the nuts and bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts