German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously... why in the world would you get a dog if you don't expect it to bark? This just makes me sad and sooo fed up with the lazy inhumane ppl who do it! Barking is a dogs way of communicating, why on earth would you want to take that away from them if you truely loved dogs? If people took the time to train them there wouldn't be an issue! Declawing cats is bad and I can't stand that either but atleast they can still communicate with fellow cats and their owners.

Ugh ppl make me sick sometimes...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't really like any alterations done out of convenience or aesthetics (voice box, claws, neuter, ears, dew claw...).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can say we are guilty of getting Baya spayed but I would never ever even consider removing her ability to bark

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know for us it was the best option, I don't want to take any chances of her contributing to the over population of dogs, plus for her health I wouldn't want her to go through it. But thats just me.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Dew claws too - if you've ever watched the excruciating pain of a dog who's ripped his back thumb off (Gideon was a clutz), you'd take them off too.

Debarking-nope. First of all it's cruel to take the dog's voice away. Second of all, it's less expensive to learn to actually TRAIN the dog not to bark all the time.

My dogs are barkers. Morgan is a motor mouth, nobody walks down the street when she's outside without her talking to them. Not so bad in the house.

Otto started barking at squirrels from inside the kitchen. The squirrels were in the NEIGHBORS tree. Took a week of removing him from the window and telling him shhhh to get it to stop. Oh my head when he was doing it before my coffee.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaDew claws too - if you've ever watched the excruciating pain of a dog who's ripped his back thumb off (Gideon was a clutz), you'd take them off too.

Debarking-nope. First of all it's cruel to take the dog's voice away. Second of all, it's less expensive to learn to actually TRAIN the dog not to bark all the time.

My dogs are barkers. Morgan is a motor mouth, nobody walks down the street when she's outside without her talking to them. Not so bad in the house.

Otto started barking at squirrels from inside the kitchen. The squirrels were in the NEIGHBORS tree. Took a week of removing him from the window and telling him shhhh to get it to stop. Oh my head when he was doing it before my coffee.

Keys is 1yr old, can you still get a dew claw surgically removed??
(he has hurt it once before...)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i feel the same way.

Originally Posted By: Doubleminttwin
Seriously... why in the world would you get a dog if you don't expect it to bark? This just makes me sad and sooo fed up with the lazy inhumane ppl who do it! Barking is a dogs way of communicating, why on earth would you want to take that away from them if you truely loved dogs? If people took the time to train them there wouldn't be an issue! Declawing cats is bad and I can't stand that either but atleast they can still communicate with fellow cats and their owners.

Ugh ppl make me sick sometimes...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: JazzyGirlI think spaying and neutering is not merely a matter of convenience
I don't really treat them the same way. I'd be far far far more likely to spay than to neuter. I'm thinking of people who get suckered into neutering at 4 months so their dog doesn't get "dominate"[sic].

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
In Ohio, it is illegal to debark or own a "dangerous" or "viscious dog."

This means that if you got "Lady" debarked becuase of Miss Peekaboo next door complaining about her barking when you get home, and she rushes toward your gate to greet some people walking down the street and they THINK she is trying to get at them to eat them, they can file a report that can literally send your dog to an early euthanasia.

No, when you buy a dog, you are buying the bark.

I would NEVER debark a dog.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel RKeys is 1yr old, can you still get a dew claw surgically removed??
Assuming you're talking about his back feet, if it's floppy and sticks out, they're no problem to take off but they have to be put under. If it's stuck to the foot real good like a front dew claw should be, it's more complicated.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I remember hearing about how some breeds don't even have a natural tendancy to bark.... um hello, at least go for those breeds. i believe the Russian wolfhound (borzoi) and the Kuvaus are both breeds that dont really bark.
I wish my guy would bark more....he just watches. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Originally Posted By: Angel RKeys is 1yr old, can you still get a dew claw surgically removed??
Assuming you're talking about his back feet, if it's floppy and sticks out, they're no problem to take off but they have to be put under. If it's stuck to the foot real good like a front dew claw should be, it's more complicated.
No, I was talking about his front ones....like his "thumbs"
lol

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Is it loose and floppy? I'm pretty sure they can take those off too if you really want.

Our dog who ripped it off had both rear dew claws. One was very small like a fetus arm and it stuck off his leg like a bubble. The other one was normal, tight to his foot. Another one of my dogs had them on the back, he wasn't exactly graceful either but he never had a problem becuase they were tight to his feet.

Most breeders take them off the back when the pups are a few days old. Some like to leave them becuase there's a theory about the dog getting better traction doing field work.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaIs it loose and floppy? I'm pretty sure they can take those off too if you really want.

Our dog who ripped it off had both rear dew claws. One was very small like a fetus arm and it stuck off his leg like a bubble. The other one was normal, tight to his foot. Another one of my dogs had them on the back, he wasn't exactly graceful either but he never had a problem becuase they were tight to his feet.

Most breeders take them off the back when the pups are a few days old. Some like to leave them becuase there's a theory about the dog getting better traction doing field work.
WOW, Ive never seen a rear dew claw.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel R
WOW, Ive never seen a rear dew claw.....
My Abby had a floppy rear dew claw that grew a "deformed" claw. Every time I trimmed it, it would bleed like crazy. We had the vet remove it when she was spayed. The vet said it had a "massive vein" feeding it and bled a lot. She had 5 staples closing up the incision. It was actually good that we had it removed because if she would have torn it accidentally it may not have stopped bleeding without emergency care.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I've heard of double dew claws in other breeds, never a GSD.

I know the topics been around but forget - aren't back dew claws pretty much bred out of DDR/czech line GSDs or are they always removed as newborns?

My dew claw disaster, Gideon, was BYB. My lost cause rescue the husband fell in love with and he broke our hearts to pieces.

Rex was west german working but his breeder was a believer in the better traction theory. I was too young and inexperienced at the time to ask why/how, just knew my GSD I'd had before didn't have them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts