German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
My Imo was cremated. He came back in a beatiful wood/teak box w/his name engraved on a brass nameplate. He is sealed in a clear plastic bag inside of a black velvet bag. I have him (& his "best dog" collar, everyday collar, and fave. stuffed hedghog) sitting on my mantle in our family room. It comforts me knowing he is there "watching over" us as he did in life. I have also specified that when I pass his ashes will be mixed with mine and half of us spread over the Pacific Ocean, and the other half spread at the Atlantic Ocean (we were both born/raised in Cali & I flew him here to MD when I moved). He was always with me in life, so I want him with me after. He is my heart dog and as strange as it may be to some, it is important that we "remain" together after both of our mortal lives have passed.
I also plan to do the same with any of my subsequent furbabies.

http://www.bradfordclocks.com/pet_urns.php

This site has beautiful pet urns made from leftover wood from hand made clocks. Their prices do not seem overly expensive either.

When Cheyenne passed, I had her cremated. I purchased a lovely ceramic box from Hallmark. It was part of a spring time line they had. I was also able to get matching photo frame and candle. She rests in my china cabinet in the kitchen. A photo of her last day on the beach in the matching photo frame and the candle is used once a year...on the anniverary of her death....

Some call me silly but it brings comfort to me....it has been four years since her passing.

It might sound weird but when Reiker died, we got him a coffin, wrapped it in plastic and buried him in our back yard with a little fence and a german shepherd statue guarding him.. we own our house and we knew that we would never move.. I planted flowers on it so that he has a blanket of flowers over him..

All my previous dogs have been cremated. We got the ashes back in a plain box, which we sprinkled onto a flower bed. This one bed in our yard has become a little patch of "hallowed ground" and I always think about the dogs whenever I'm near there.

Originally Posted By: Reik's momIt might sound weird but when Reiker died, we got him a coffin, wrapped it in plastic and buried him in our back yard with a little fence and a german shepherd statue guarding him.. we own our house and we knew that we would never move.. I planted flowers on it so that he has a blanket of flowers over him..
Doesn't sound weird at all to me. See my post on page one of this thread.

My terrier was cremated. She came back in a handcarved wooden box with her name on top plus a card from her vet to say sorry for our loss. The vet assistant did a little drawing of a pawprint in a heart and put it on the box.

I haven't looked inside it and it is kept in a glass cabinet with her collar and a little t-shirt with her name on that I got for her but she never had a chance to wear.

I wanted to scatter her ashes on my Dad's grave as he loved that little dog but I just can't let go of her yet.

I buried my Dakota at my parents' place in PA under his favorite American Chestnut Tree at the back of their property where in his later years he loved taking long siestas. My folks' place was like a second home for him and even my dad shed a few tears we buried him. A local farmer was nice enough to dig a hole with his backhoe.

After the burial, I ordered a stone from here: http://www.artisticetching.com/petmemorials.htm.

The stone was beautiful (the gsd head I had etched is very realistic) and when my folks pass or have to go in a home, I plan to take the stone. I know he's not alone as that my dad's favorite hunting dog, Mr. Wing (english setter) is there to keep him company as well as my folks' sheltie mix and Dakota's buddy, Dutchess, and the world's meanest cat, Cuddles (hey, we were 6 years old when we named him)

I guess I'm strange in that I hate cemetaries and all they respresent. I didn't want to cremate Dakota and keep the ashes. To me, he'll always be in the one place he loved the most and I will always have my memories.

I opted for individual cremation at a fairly high cost. It took a full week and I picked up the 'cremains' just yesterday. I was completely miserable for the entire week, very teary, didn't want to do anything.

Picking up the ashes was surprisingly difficult, almost as bad as the euthanasia. Since Eich had to be everywhere at once, absolutely loved being outside, but always preferred our company, the choice was easy. Some of his ashes were scattered around my backyardm especially his 'favorite' trees and along a brush line where he loved to 'hunt' chipmunks. Some will go to the trail behind the school where he loved to find tennis balls from the nearby tennis court. Some will go upstate next Spring to the cabin in the woods. And some will stay with me forever.

I've got to be honest; I have found a tremendous sense of comfort in this. I'm glad I did it this way.

Cary

Well..... I will be faced with this soon, as our Golden is doing bad. I hate the thought of loosing our 1st dog ever & not sure what we will do.

All our furkids mean so much to us & want the best for them.

I have always been one to bury. Have burried 4 ferrets, frogs, turtles, & a bunny. These critters are much smaller than a big dog.

I have been up in the air lately about what to do. I think being the hole has to be so big & the ground is so hard, cremation seems like the way to go.

Not sure once I cremate what to do with the remains ? I'm not one to hold onto them so, not sure if I will scatter them or just bury them ? Anyone ever do that, bury ashes ?

If you hold onto them, then to need to tell others what to do with them once your gone & hope they follow through.

It seems easier to do what you want to do with them while your on this earth. Scatter or bury them.

I am so unsure about what to do as this will be our 1st dog loss.

Great thread with great info ! Thanks...........

I'm sorry to hear about your Golden, I had one growning up and he was my best bud.

As far as what to do with the remains I have Titan's on a shelf in my bedroom and find it very comforting that he is there. You do bring up a good point about what to do with the remains after I'm gone. I hadn't thought about that. I will likely have them go where ever I go (buried or scattered with me).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.