German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On sept 16th my close dear best friend Leo went missing. She was. Is a 3 year old tuxedo cat my husband Sam picked up from the shelter before we were dating. He said I needed a friend and she had grabbed him as he walked by her cage and meowed at him endlessly. She choose him. Upon arriving home this kitten that wouldn’t stop crying stopped and fell asleep in our bed for a nap that lasted hours. Sam’s sister named her Leo, mostly we admit after Leonardo DiCaprio but also the guy from Leon the prof. Sam’s sister has since been through a very bad time and is no longer the girl I knew and only a shell. She no longer leaves her house.. Sam and I raised this kitten that ended up having us move in together and begin a life that led me here.
but now she’s gone. After years with us one evening she didn’t come home from playing in the front lawn or the neighbors yard. She vanished. She knew to knock on the door and when to come home. She didn’t do much outside except eat grass and play with her brothers. She taught Kira to respect personal space and trained her to share her food. She trained Kira to not look at her for too longor Boom snooty slap. This was a fully grown cat at 6 lbs with a short tail. She ran like a raccoon and would greet me every morning with her paw under the bathroom door as I get ready.
She has been missing. I’ve talked to rescues I know seeking advice we are doing everything and anything to save her if she is still out there including hiring a scent dog team who specializes in rescuing cats. we are fighting for her. And I can’t get over the fact that if I never let her play outside this wouldn’t have happened: she was beyond smart but. I should have kept her indoors. She was always claustrophobic so we let her out and she never wandered but I guess that was the beginning of our worries. I miss her so much. Our days are filled with tears and our other furry friends wandering the house. Where is master Leo?
Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Eyelash Carnivore

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,453 Posts
So sorry to hear your kitty is missing. Hoping and praying that you guys will find her. From your description she’s crafty and smart so hopefully she knows where a safe place is and is hiding there. I used to have a cat that looked similar to your Leo. Her name was Rascal, she too grabbed me as I walked by her cage. Lost her four years ago when she escaped the house and was hit by a car.
Cat Plant Felidae Carnivore Whiskers

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have rescued a number of cats over the years - always black because they are what no one seems to want. Ours have also been indoor/outdoor (we work long hours and have a dog door for the dogs) and yes some have gone missing far too soon. But they did have a good life and escaped the shelter much like your girl. We did euthanize our 9 yr old this month. She had been flagged as a biter at just 5 mos old and the shelter had her slated for death. She was our gentlest cat and no, not a biter. And she was the cat our GSD obsessed over finding and herding and hassling. We only have a Cymric now who is 8 yrs old. She is the one that taught our GSD to be a mouser.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Maybe someone picked her up and she got a second family? That happens a lot with outdoor cats. Have you posted on facebook groups, or put up fliers, etc.?

Outdoor cats have risky lives....between getting hit by cars, picking up diseases, getting eaten by other animals, etc. (And not just cats...my neighbor has a habit of letting his dog hang out in the front yard, and lately that dog has been running over to our yard--crossing a semi-busy street--whenever he sees me and Willow out there. One of these days he's going to get nailed by a car.) Hopefully this story has a happy ending, and when you get her back you can look into getting a catio or taking her on leashed walks outside. I see more and more people doing that these days, seems like a great compromise to get your cat outside but also keep her safe.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
My daughter's boyfriend's family has two little cats that only go out into the fenced back yard on a leash. Otherwise, isn't it just a matter of time?

So sorry you're going through this, hopefully she wanders back.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe someone picked her up and she got a second family? That happens a lot with outdoor cats. Have you posted on facebook groups, or put up fliers, etc.?

Outdoor cats have risky lives....between getting hit by cars, picking up diseases, getting eaten by other animals, etc. (And not just cats...my neighbor has a habit of letting his dog hang out in the front yard, and lately that dog has been running over to our yard--crossing a semi-busy street--whenever he sees me and Willow out there. One of these days he's going to get nailed by a car.) Hopefully this story has a happy ending, and when you get her back you can look into getting a catio or taking her on leashed walks outside. I see more and more people doing that these days, seems like a great compromise to get your cat outside but also keep her safe.
We live in a cul de sac a few streets away from any traffic so I don’t think it was a car and not to speak ill but she’s evil when it comes to strangers touching her so I doubt they were able to convince her. Thank you for the advice I will try the Catio. We’ve posted flyers, went door to door, Facebook, rescue groups, animal control, all the websites and god forbid but even the deceased pickup list

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daughter's boyfriend's family has two little cats that only go out into the fenced back yard on a leash. Otherwise, isn't it just a matter of time?

So sorry you're going through this, hopefully she wanders back.
I tried the leash before and frankly, she would rather die so we gave in to her begging to go outside and I will likely never stop regretting it. Her in her walking harness.
Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Dog breed

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear that. We have a cat too and it is a similar story of me meeting him at the shelter and it was destiny. I think she is safe either picked up by someone or hiding somewhere. Since she is an indoor/outdoor cat she is more aware and probably hiding somewhere

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,638 Posts
After a house-sitter left our cats outside all night, and they disappeared, I determined my cats were going to be indoor cats. That still didn't stop one cat from slipping out of the house and getting hit by a car. 😥

Sorry this has happened, but don't give up hope! My cousin's cat was missing for more than a year, because someone assumed she was a stray, and took her in!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, life itself is risky. You gave her what she craved and it came with a possible risk. To me this is more valuable than living miserably inside for 15 years. Don't second guess yourself. I hope she comes back on her own terms. Also check neighborhood sheds where she could be accidently locked in.
Thank you for your comment wolfy , that’s what my mom was saying and I felt bad because I really don’t want any of our kitties getting hurt just they were so unhappy inside meowing constantly and trying to slip out the door like prisoners regardless how many toys and hours of play I had with them. 💕

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some cats just can't be contained. I tried to make my last cat an indoor only cat. I got him at about 2-3 months old. I managed to keep him inside until he was about 9 months old and it was spring. I woke one morning to see a blur run past my outside bedroom door. He had pushed the screen out of my bedroom window. I managed to catch him and get him back in. A few weeks later he pushed out the screen on my storm door. I gave in. I bought a harness and walked him around the perimeter of my property. I hoped he would stay close if he got out again. He was with me 11 years living in a Ponderosa/Pinon forest where there are owls, coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions. He was always home and in bed with me at night. When he disappeared it was daytime. That was many years ago. You can only do what you can do. I have not gotten another cat since I lost him.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It’s heartbreaking wondering where they are when they go missing like this… many years ago when I was small, our family cat got out and vanished. She had been an indoor only cat, declawed. We left the garage door open with food and she eventually found her way back. Not an extreme story by any means but just one more example that they can surprise us. I agree with the others. Put up signs, ask neighbors, leave a way for your cat to get into your property, hold out some hope, and try not to beat yourself up over her vanishment. It sounds as if you have tried to do right by her for many years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts