German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

New here. Thank you for welcoming me.

Our German Shepherd deals with severe separation anxiety from what I gather. When left alone, he would rip up bushes and sprinklers and anything he could get his teeth on. He has a pug brother who gets along great with. We tried getting him toys, we let him be with us whenever we are home. Take him to dog parks and walk him daily, yet he still acts out regardless of the time he's left alone.

For instance, last week, we left him in the backyard while we went to breakfast. We were gone only one hour and he chewed through our wooden fence which let the pug get out and "protect the perimeter."

Previously we accidentally left one of our back windows open. When we returned, he had chewed up our screen, chewed through our wood window slats and was sitting inside.

Of course, I fixed our fence that day. He knows he did something bad because when I go to look at the fence his ears go down and his head goes low like he's guilty.

Well, this morning, I get a notification on my Nest camera and the pug is out again. My Brother-in-law went to get the pug and our G.S. chewed through the fence again! same plank! (See pictures below)

I'm at whits end trying to figure out the best way to handle this as we can not ALWAYS be with him. Has anyone went through this? What measures have you found that work? Do shock collars work for this type of behavior?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I've never had a dog with S.A., but if this were me I'd look at building an escape proof kennel in the backyard. Concrete slab with high quality chain link fencing. That way at least you've prevented escapes, while also ensuring your dog's safety!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Not sure what you describe is SA. How old is the dog? How long have you had him? Is this a new behavior? Does he live outside?
SA is tricky because often in trying to stop it we actually feed it. And there is no quick fix.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Is your dog crate trained? Instead of leaving your dog out loose, you can crate him whenever you leave the house. There are escape-proof crates out there. Some of them aren't cheap, but it beats always fixing the fence and/or your dogs running loose in the neighborhood or picked up by animal control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts