German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I just introduced myself in the forums a few minutes ago, and decided to start another thread here.

I have a GSD named Aries who is almost a year old. We have just discovered that he is suffering from Pano. He exhibited symptoms earlier - limping around on both front legs, etc. We didn't think much of it because he's an extremely active dog and considers it his job to fetch everything we throw for him as fast and efficiently as possible. We thought he had simply pulled something as the limping would go away a couple days later.

However, about a little over a week ago, he started limping and didn't stop. He stopped being so active, wouldn't run, and just lay around the house acting sad. We realized he was hurting - he sleeps in our bedroom with us and he began crying at night when he would move positions.

So yes, long story short, we now know what afflicts him. It's a horrible feeling, to know one of your babies is hurting and you can't do much for him beyond make him as comfy as possible. He's still eating and still enjoys going outside, but he's not nearly the happy go lucky puppy he was :( I picked up some buffered aspirin for dogs, and am probably going to be getting some vitamins for bone and joint health... any other advice that's worked for your dogs would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Did your vet diagnose?
You can try prescription pain meds, like metacam or rimadyl. Zeel can be had over the counter and helped one of mine with pain (the other dog I tried got no relief with Zeel).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we took him to the vet late last week. He said he could prescribe metacam if the pain gets worse, but mostly they have to grow out of it. Said the buffered aspirin should act as a painkiller/anti-inflammatory for now.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Pongu had pano for about six months. I gave him Rimadyl when it was really bad (when he refused to put any weight on the affected legs) and glucosamine supplements every day (under the can't hurt/might help theory -- it seemed like it did help a little, but I couldn't say how much). Limited his exercise, especially running and jumping around the dog park, and did more tricks training and mental work to make up for it.

It was rough at the time, but unlike most other ailments, pano at least has a good prognosis and you know going in that your dog should eventually get completely better, so that's a bit of a silver lining.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts