German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
My dogs get a tablespoon of D earth mixed with water daily in their kibble.No parasites ever since I started doing that six years ago

·
Registered
832 Posts
We haven't had any issues with intestinal parasites since we started regular heart worm preventatives years ago.....we have had pups come to us from breeders with worms on occasion....then a fecal and dewormer through the vet......it's been years since I've looked to see what's available over the counter...

·
Registered
189 Posts
My dogs get a tablespoon of D earth mixed with water daily in their kibble.No parasites ever since I started doing that six years ago
Same here, I add it to the food; I also give every month tincture of black walnut, cloves and wormwood.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,894 Posts
The inactive ingredients in OTC vs prescription or brands you get straight from the vet are most likely the thing the dogs react too. I used an OTC flea shampoo, for cats, on a cat once. In 5 minutes, I had a cat frothing at the mouth. I literally snatched him by the back of his neck and held him under the tub faucet to get that stuff off of him. Same kind of reactions with OTC dewormers. Look up any Hartz product for claims.

·
Super Moderator
6,476 Posts
i don’t regularly deworm, never have... i do the above for a week when returning from camping or backpacking trips since Keystone eats & drinks from who knows what out there.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
We have whipworms here which are terribly hard to diagnose since they lay very few eggs and don't show up during fecal tests.After having a couple of dogs go through many weeks of intestinal distress with the nasty little suckers it is the best preventative for them.Mine are always licking up who knows what too.:p

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use Fenbendazole (Panacur / Safeguard) for puppies or young dogs over 6 weeks old, kills worms plus Giardia on a 5 day dose. Also it is considered very safe, even for pregnant female dogs. On adult dogs I rarely de-worm or run fecal tests, never actually seen or had a test come back positive for worms ever. Most heartworm medications cover at least a few worms anyway, so unless you had a specific reason or concern (or don't give heartworm mediction?), I wouldn't worry too much. If I have been travelling somewhere or I had a concern, I would just give a standard dose of Fenbendazole. Also because I generally just use the basic heartworm medications (cheapest Heartgard equivalent), and I don't always give it all year round, but I've only ever done that once or twice on my adult dog.

·
Registered
30,894 Posts
Mine are always licking up who knows what too.:p
We have hook worms here. So hard to get rid of so I started Interceptor Plus all year. Faren is the first dog to be totally clear at her yearly check. But last year she did have them....and strongyles because she eats everything (another reason I do IP all year long).

Vet tech: Faren has hook worms and strongyles. You need to worm her AND your horses
Me: ~shrug~ I don't have any horses.
VT: ~blank look~

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I haven't had to de worm for the last few years but early on we had a battle with Hookworm. Repeated infection. I bought Strongid -T online but it's been so long I don't remember from where. I do remember researching the reputation of the site I ordered from though. It was a large bottle and I knew how much to give as it was the same as what my vet was giving. It was way cheaper then going to the vet just for a deworming dosing. Both my vet and myself were a bit surprised she kept getting them because she was on Heartgaurd year round. Turned out to be a park we were going to. Stopped going there and the problem resolved.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Advantage Multi (topical RX heartworm/flea protection) also controls rounds, hooks, and whips. It's important to me that both hooks and whips are controlled for. I haven't needed to deworm my dogs since they've been on it -- even having foster dogs pass through with parasites, my dogs never get them because of the monthly Ad-Multi. Their fecal tests are always clear.

To deworm foster dogs, I use Panacur for 3-5 days. If they have tapes, we get some form of Praziquantel.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deja hasn't been wormed for about 6 years. So I just did it, considering what she eats and goes into. I thought she had lost weight as well so if that doesn't put on weight it be will be trip to the vet.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't do annual wellness check ups. I know my dog in every detail very well and will take her to the vet when I see anything unusual. Has proven me well for more than 40 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts