German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many places about using food grade Diatomacious Earth as a method of tick control. You sprinkle it on the dog and it "cuts the ticks and fleas to shreds" or dehydrates them.

Well, I've already pulled 4 ticks off the dogs and 3 off me so I decided to test this theory. I found an unattached tick on one of the dogs, picked it up (very gently) and placed it in a jar with a spoonful of DE (food grade). That was at 5:30 pm Friday.

It's now 10:30 pm Friday and the tick is going strong.

So far I am NOT impressed. 5 hours is PLENTY of time for a tick to craw through your dogs fur and attach itself. The DE does not repel them nor does it kill them fast enough to stop them from attaching.

I'm going to continue this experiment and see how long the tick lasts in the jar.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if anyone here has suggested it but I have read it all over the net.

6:53 am and the tick is DEAD!!

Now, on to Phase 2 of the test. In Phase 1 I had the tick in a Shake-N-Bake level of DE - more than I would ever use on the dogs.

This next test will be more realistic. I will let the tick crawl through a light coating of DE and then put it in a jar and see what happens.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I think we'll be getting chickens again!! The DH was against it but even HE sees the good in it with all the ticks we've seen last year and this one.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lauri, in spite of the chickens, are you still moving on to phase 2 of the trial?

Do you know what kind of tick it was?

Pulled a tick off of Mauser this morning and started Phase 2! :) I am video taping my Tick Tormenting, too!

I'm pretty sure they are dog ticks but I'll have to double check when I do Phase 3.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, Phase 2 was what I called the ShakeNBake phase. I put the tick in a small jar with about 1/4 tsp of DE, shook it up so it was completely covered and then pulled the tick out and put it in a clean jar.

That was 2:00 pm yesterday. The tick is still alive as of 10:00 am this morning.

I'm beginning to think that the amount of DE needed to kill a tick is going to be WAAAY more than we would want to put on our dogs. I will continue to monitor this tick and see what happens!

·
Registered
529 Posts
P :) I am video taping my Tick Tormenting, too!quote]
:rofl:

I luv it!.....I thought I was the only one who conducted scientific experiments on little critters lol!!!!....good work Lauri I have wondered about this one....I am told it takes anywhere from 1-3 days though,it's not a very quick process.....I assume because it causes death by dehydration which would take some time.....waiting for your results!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rofl:

I luv it!.....I thought I was the only one who conducted scientific experiments on little critters lol!!!!....good work Lauri I have wondered about this one....I am told it takes anywhere from 1-3 days though,it's not a very quick process.....I assume because it causes death by dehydration which would take some time.....waiting for your results!
My DH brought up a good point. If it does work by dehydration what happens when the tick attaches and starts drinking? If it takes 1-3 days for it to take effect the tick is, most likely, going to attach in that time. Does that RE-hydrate them and cancel the effects of the DE?

And no, I am NOT going to try THAT experiment! Not on the dogs OR me!

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
If the tick is dehydrating and goes to drink it should not be able to hold the moisture b/c the waxy substance has been taken off of it's shell. The reason I highly suggest the nematodes is b/c I live on 5 wooded acres, and when we first moved in we had ticks crawling all over us and our dog's. We were pulling ticks off left and right on us and our dog's. Then I got the nematodes. I noticed the difference with in about 2-3 weeks, and then no ticks within about 1 1/2-2 months. It is awesome and all natural. Haven't sprayed them down since May of "07".

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, Phase 2 was what I called the ShakeNBake phase. I put the tick in a small jar with about 1/4 tsp of DE, shook it up so it was completely covered and then pulled the tick out and put it in a clean jar.

That was 2:00 pm yesterday. The tick is still alive as of 10:00 am this morning.
Update:

It's 9:00 am on 4/14/10 - 67 hours into Phase 2 and the subject is still alive and doing well.

as a side note, my Bug-Off garlic powder arrived in the mail yesterday and I started the dogs today.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
So what is Phase 3???? An Where is the video? lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts