German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my 100% DDR boy from the airport, first impression when i opened the crate:
he looks at the guy opening the crate and then backs up into the corner and sat.
i let him be but left my hand right outside his crate.
probably in a minute he went to my hand and sniffed it.
offered him a cut up pieces of hotdog, he backs up again looked at my hand and sniffed and took the treat.
lured him out from the crate with the treat, hesitant, would move forward and then stops and llooks before moving forward again.

so different from my czech/slovak. when i got him from the airport 6 years ago at 8 weeks, he went out off his crate like nothing and startss to wander off and wag his tail.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have observed that ddr dog startles easily.

fire up the chainsaw yesterday and was limbing some trees, ddr dog ran away i think due to the noise and sound the chainsaw made.

stepped on some dried limbs/branches that makes a cracking noise and ddr dog steps back.

AC condenser kicks in while doing some yard work and ddr dog ran away from it about 5-6 feet.

everything new, he is wary. he sees as a threat (?), he backs up, checks it out and re engages and gets back to it from a different angle.

also switched him from kibble to raw.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hot dog ? was ist das? dog sniffs at eraser pink blob - lol

not my experience and I brought in 100% DDR dogs back in the early 90's - one a Lenn v Kleinen Mohr son Lenn vom kleinen Mohr
and others
including from Sandokan and in 2010 two from Parchimer Land

In the interim I used Klockow's Lex and Grando von Mecklenburger Buffel
I was able to see the dogs , and what they contributed genetically.

The DDR was used on and with one line that had run for close to 40 years from generation to generation.,
That allowed me to see what was improved, maintained, or l diluted .

the pup has no bond or reason to trust you yet --

what is your dogs pedigree - PM me

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
He came from oversees! Who knows what happend on the way in transport. I don't blame him for a bit. Give him some time to know that he is safe with you and then evaluate. Just MO. I think we often expect way too much from our pups and dogs. Maybe he doesn't consider hotdogs to be food, which is true.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Best East German lines are here in the states. Your one dog does not represent the East German Line, its a dog a pup and a experience. That said young and new and an individual. I don't prefer puppies go headlong into startling things. Backs up and reengages when appropriate is natures ways of surviving puppyhood. Natural selection at work.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Just relax and let the pup settle in. Of course you can introduce a variety of household sounds/scenarios but allow it to happen naturally, when it makes sense. Work on earning this pups trust, build a bond now. Of course you want a confident dog, a brave one. Genetics matter big time, you matter as well.

I was chatting with someone who got a Mal pup. He was so worried about what this dog was made of, needed to know right now. It was almost like the dogs natural environment with him was going to be a weekend haunted house, ghouls and all. lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
rexy.jpg

How old is he? Hopefully it is just that the trip rattled him a bit. Where did you get him from?
8 weeks and a couple of days

hot dog ?

the pup has no bond or reason to trust you yet --

what is your dogs pedigree - PM me
when i was doing IPO we used hotdogs for treat so i thought i'm gonna use hotdog.
PM'ed you, thanks Carmen.

He came from oversees! Who knows what happend on the way in transport. I don't blame him for a bit. Give him some time to know that he is safe with you and then evaluate. Just MO. I think we often expect way too much from our pups and dogs. Maybe he doesn't consider hotdogs to be food, which is true.
pup came from here in the states.
yes, i'm giving him time am just documenting my experience with this pup.

thank you

Best East German lines are here in the states. Your one dog does not represent the East German Line, its a dog a pup and a experience. That said young and new and an individual. I don't prefer puppies go headlong into startling things. Backs up and reengages when appropriate is natures ways of surviving puppyhood. Natural selection at work.
thank you.

everytime he meets/sees something new to him he backs up and then re engages at a different angle. i havent seen my other gsd do the same thing, if the stimuli was a threat i think my other dog would die in an instant as compared to this pup. i think he is wary of everything new to him and don't want to check the stimuli in a straight path but checks it out coming from a different angle.

he had warmed up to the chainsaw now. just did some cutting today and he follows me with the chainsaw on and sometimes i rev it up to intentionally startle him but it doesnt faze him anymore.

a friend of mine came by today and the pup did the same thing, backs up 3 steps and circles around and checked my friend from a different angle and sniffs him then went to my side and lay down.

today he goes in and out of the screened patio just by watching my older dog.
another thing, he goes up and down the stairs with no hesitation. my older dog when a pup was scared to go up the stairs. i got him up by playing ball and throwing the ball up the stairs and he went for it without thinking.

learning this guys temperament everyday.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Each is an individual. When I picked up Eska at the airport, she'd been in the crate for 16 hours, due to her flight being delayed by bad weather. She didn't want to come out at all. It was 4 a.m. I hadn't had any sleep, and I was short on patience, so finally, I reached in and gently pulled her out.

I clipped the leash to her collar, put her down on the grass, and within a few minutes, she was wanting to play with the leash!

Her breeder says she has seen fully trained military dogs that were afraid to come out of their crate after a flight. It can be pretty rough for them!

Of course, we'd prefer to see them come bouncing out enthusiastically, ready to take on the world. But I wouldn't read too much into it if that's not how they react!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Stop comparing this pup to another dog you owned!!! It’s not fair to the pup. If you wanted the same characteristics as other dog, ( Czech lines) you should have gotten another Czech dog and he probably would have exited the crate similarly. Pure DDR dogs are wired differently from many other lines, but still are great example of the breed.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the pup needs a fair chance

looking at things you have a very very young pup "8 weeks and a couple of days"

who could have stood another week or two at his first home, with graduated periods of
separation from the litter.

when I had my litters I would have dog-of-the-day , even though it might have been a few
hours , of one on one time . They became individuals . They had an identity , a name , not
just pup pup. I could take the litter out and call out one name and that one pup would stop
and come visit while the others which were not that name continued doing what they were doing.

this pup , at a marked developmental period has already endured quite the experience .

abrupt removal from litter , maybe alone for the first time , crated , again maybe a first time,
handled by sundry cargo crew - some who handle live cargo as if they were baggage , experienced
the flight and then expected to accept you as some long lost friend , reunited , the instant that
he saw you .

he probably could have stood another week or two in his original home

wit

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I agree. Abruptly leaving litter, cargo on a flight, completely new human, new smells, and a CHAINSAW lol. Not even 9 weeks old yet. I wouldn't make any judgement about his personality yet. Cahnces are as soon as he used to his surroundings he will be fine.

My WGWL x Czech (from Slovakian breeders) was 5 months old when I got him. He had been raised in a puppy raising house with 5 kids up until 20 weeks. Then the original breeder had him for 2 weeks, then he came to my home. He was weirded out to say the least. He thought he lost his handler "again" (such a failure in the dog world! lol) I made the mistake of too much too soon. We fixed it, but my enthusiasm for integrating him could have been a bit more tempered.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Each is an individual.
got it.

Stop comparing this pup to another dog you owned!!! It’s not fair to the pup. If you wanted the same characteristics as other dog, ( Czech lines) you should have gotten another Czech dog and he probably would have exited the crate similarly. Pure DDR dogs are wired differently from many other lines, but still are great example of the breed.
understood. that's my amateur mistake, i can't help comparing their characters.
i like this pups chracter/temperament though. wary.

I don't think I would intentionally startle an 8 week old pup over and over.
.especially with a chainsaw.... Why don't you just chill and let the little guy settle in

Whatever the genetic predisposition is, he is still just a baby who has traveled a long way
i didnt intentionally startle the pup. i didnt even think about the pup when i was firing the saw to limb trees. i just wanted to get the yard work done as it was getting late. the 2nd time i again didnt think of the pup, the pup slipped off my mind, i fired up the saw and then i saw the pup right there sniffing around like he didnt even hear the saw. i revved up the saw and the pup didnt even look to check what the sound was - yes when i revved up the saw that was meant to startle him, i wanted to see how the pup would react or was curious if the pup would react the same way the day before.

the pup needs a fair chance
the pup will get plenty no problem.

and a CHAINSAW lol. Not even 9 weeks old yet. I wouldn't make any judgement about his personality yet. Cahnces are as soon as he used to his surroundings he will be fine.
chainsaw = please refer to my reply about it above.
no, please don't get me wrong, i am not making any judgement i am merely making an observation/impression of the pups first few days.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
You said and I quote "sometimes I rev it up to intentionally startle him"

"sometimes" sounds like more than once.

Sniffing ground can be avoidance behavior because dog/pup stressed out.

Puppy didn't sound super confident to begin with for whatever reason and I just don't get intentionally startling a pup who seems a little unsure. I feel like that is going to have the opposite effect from what you want.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
totally unrelated but I don't even like to have my adult dogs out when the chainsaw is running. Neither one is afraid of it and I know they don't understand what it is capable of and I can just see one of them trying to run up to daddy to give him a toy or who knows what and disaster because he can't hear then coming and can he shut it off in time if one of them runs up to him?

Seems like most of my dogs don't have a healthy respect for dangerous equipment or machinery.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
OP by over-stimulating this young pup you are creating the dog you are worried about. There is nothing that will gain confidence by running and revving up a chain saw. Gentle exposure where the up doesn't have to be worried makes for confidence. Read that sticky on that. I believe Carmspack wrote it.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
My girls came home at 9 weeks during the start of our seasonal firewood cutting. I didn't intentionally expose them, it's just what we do and they either sink or swim, both "swam" just fine. As adults, solid OB kept them out of harms way when I'm felling or doing something with more risk, but otherwise they're free to roam. Take some reasonable precautions and do what you gotta do.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts