German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted about a year or two ago looking for suggestions for breeders. I was in the middle of some life moves, and didn't think it would be the right time. Things are all in order now.. and i'm ready to pick up my first German Shepherd pup this summer. I've been in touch with a few breeders, and am looking for some more suggestions if possible.

A little background first, single male, home owner, no children, medium yard. I've owned a number of dogs in the past, including my latest, an akita. I have some history in training dogs, but nothing competitive.

I am a law enforcement officer who fell in love with the drive and spirit of our K9 dogs, whom are ddr dogs.

1) This is a companion dog first. I'm a very outdoorsy / adventurous person. I've got bikes and gear and an SUV and I like to explore. Myself (like many people I imagine) are looking for a k9 partner. He would also need to "turn off" so to speak, at home.

2) First and foremost the dog must have no social aggression. Must not be a risk around children or other animals. I'd like to be able to take him to a dog park without issue. Temperament is key.

3) I intend to train the dog and socialize it immensely. I will be enrolling in multiple classes for obedience and protection and whatever else strikes my fancy. This is not because I intend to compete with the dog, but to make it a nice well rounded dog, and to help bond with it. So i'd need a dog with the drive to participate.

4) I know people don't necessarily agree with this, but it's how I feel - i want a dark sable male. Majority of DDR dogs look like this, so it's not a big deal, but just putting that out there.

I've looked up a number of breeders. True Haus is just about perfect for what i'm looking for, however both of their litters are already reserved. I'm looking for any suggestions / people I can speak to, or even insight.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Your #2 and #3 contradict themselves. If protection strikes your fancy you will want social aggression which actually is not the definition you have in mind. DDR dogs usually not social butterflies and dog park frequenters so you may want to look into dark sable West German working line.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I don't see how #2 and #3 contradict themselves at all.
Here they are as the OP stated them.

2) First and foremost the dog must have no social aggression. Must not be a risk around children or other animals. I'd like to be able to take him to a dog park without issue. Temperament is key.

3) I intend to train the dog and socialize it immensely. I will be enrolling in multiple classes for obedience and protection and whatever else strikes my fancy. This is not because I intend to compete with the dog, but to make it a nice well rounded dog, and to help bond with it. So i'd need a dog with the drive to participate

A sound stable dog is not a risk , is not randomly or inappropriately aggressive - not reactive , not dog aggressive . Now dog parks are just a plain bad idea .
Stability and balance does not mean the dog has no drives . Temperament and stability is at the core of a clear headed able to sail through training , deal with life, respond with courage when needed, be a lively and interested participant in all sorts of activities and the be calm and restful at home .

All dogs need direction .

·
Premium Member
11,251 Posts
My Csabre (apx half DDR) is a very strong female, alot of social aggression - but also a naturally stable dog who absolutely adores children. She has not ever been inappropriately aggressive, but it is very evident on the field what is there.

Agree with Carmen - no reason to go to dog parks. GSDs really do not need 'dog friends' and dog parks are just not a good idea. Worms, illnesses, and dog pack interactions too risky. Even taking a dog social GSD to a dog park is just not the best idea. If YOU have social reasons to go to a dog park, think about another breed...

Personally I like the physical DDR type - but prefer it blended with the other lines for versatility. Have done and am going to do a DDR cross again.

Lee

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My Csabre (apx half DDR) is a very strong female, alot of social aggression - but also a naturally stable dog who absolutely adores children. She has not ever been inappropriately aggressive, but it is very evident on the field what is there.
That's what I meant just didn't elaborate. The dog has to have social aggression to excel on the field and in protection, and social aggression doesn't mean eating children and cats. Social aggression does not equal instability as the OP implied. Social aggression doesn't equal inappropriate aggression. I wrote my response to what was written.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Old thread with same topic http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/115301-reputable-ddr-working-line-breeder-ny.html

Btw, does anyone ever use the search engines on this forum? I see the same questions being asked over and over, people seem to be unaware that there are old threads or there is a search engine. There is a gold mine of information in old threads. Sure, it is great to get new input but perhaps people can just revive an old thread that way people looking for the same information can get it all from one thread.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
I am also hunting for my next puppy. I have a list of breeders but I think it's really important to go out and watch the dogs. There are several good Schutzhund clubs in the NYS/PA area. I would recommend getting out there and watching/meeting the dogs and THEN ask who the breeders are when you find dogs you like.

We can recommend breeders on here all day long but that doesn't mean the dogs are a suitable match for you.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Agree with Carmen - no reason to go to dog parks. GSDs really do not need 'dog friends' and dog parks are just not a good idea. Worms, illnesses, and dog pack interactions too risky. Even taking a dog social GSD to a dog park is just not the best idea. If YOU have social reasons to go to a dog park, think about another breed...
Sometimes you have to.

I'm not saying it's the OP's situation, but it is mine. I live in Center City Philadelphia. I don't have a yard. If I want to exercise my dog off-leash, or proof off-leash exercises, I have to do it at the dog park (or set up guerrilla pop-up courses in parking lots and city parks, which we also do, but for obvious reasons I'd rather have my dog practice jumps on the thick soft mulch of the dog park than an asphalt parking lot).

I'm lucky in that our local dog park has a pretty educated and committed group of core owners who keep everyone else more or less in line. We do continuing education and outreach about appropriate dog interactions (as opposed to bullying or outright aggressive behavior), and we seldom have problems with inappropriate dogs at the park (unlike some other city parks that have a very high percentage of dog-aggressive pitties and pit mixes with novice owners and, unsurprisingly, have a very high percentage of fights).

Even with that, though, it's a mixed bag. I tend to go late at night when no one else is likely to be using the park, partly so that I'm not inconveniencing anyone else when I set up my practice jumps, and partly because my Akita mix is prone to bullying and can get himself into trouble with smaller/weaker dogs. He's just not an appropriate playmate for most dogs anymore.

And I agree completely about the risk of worms and parasites. Even with a very healthy local dog population, we often have outbreaks of coccidia and giardia linked to the park. I wince when I see people bringing their 8-week-old puppies there (but, of course, people get personally offended when you tell them that they shouldn't have their dogs there...).

So I guess what I'd say is: you might have to use dog parks because it may be your best or only option for off-leash work. But there are definite risks to using them, and I wouldn't expect a working GSD to be a doggie social butterfly. If you ARE going to do it, it's very important to educate yourself about potential trouble signs and be honest about when your own dog is causing problems (sometimes easier said than done -- this was pretty humbling and painful when I had to admit to myself that one of my own dogs was becoming a problem. Socialization does not always trump genetics on this front).

If you really want to get way too into it, Cheryl Smith has a booklet called "Visiting the Dog Park" that is a pretty good overview of pros and cons. You can find it through Dogwise for five bucks right now: Welcome to Dogwise.com

(sorry about the tangent!)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
you can find what you are looking for easy i am sure in czech/ddr mixes or mixed lines also.

Not sure about pure ddr dogs these days but for the color you want you will get it in many lines and for the temperament you are looking for. A social gsd. I met a big huge quiet male ddr dog that liked protection work and was a social butterfly though. He did not ever bark instead he would scream. God that noise was HORRIBLE! LOL

When people think DDR they have the misconception I think and think of the DDR dogs before the wall fell. THe ddr dogs of today aren't like that anymore from what I have seen at least... Many are social calm dogs. JMHO Breeders who see more of them would know more though. I have met some west german with extreme social aggression.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Have you done any research on breeders who might have the dog you're looking for? I know there are several on this board alone that might be able to fit what you're looking for or at the very least point you in the direction of what you're looking for. Are you opposed to shipping a puppy?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you are in upstate new york you can drive into Canada. You have carmspack who I consider an amazing breeder. I am not sure if she uses ddr in her current breedings anymore? If she did she sounds like the perfect place.

Best thing not limit yourself to your exact location that way you can find the best dog for your situation. Remember this will be with you for 10 plus years.

When looking for my do I made a few trips into new york myself from Ontario lol To look at some dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old thread with same topic http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/115301-reputable-ddr-working-line-breeder-ny.html

Btw, does anyone ever use the search engines on this forum? I see the same questions being asked over and over, people seem to be unaware that there are old threads or there is a search engine. There is a gold mine of information in old threads. Sure, it is great to get new input but perhaps people can just revive an old thread that way people looking for the same information can get it all from one thread.
I did search, and that thread you link is from 2009.. things do change. I don't think a new thread four years later is too uncalled for.

I've been in touch with about eight breeders so far. I've narrowed it down to this point to about three, kind of going back and forth with them now. All of the suggestions came from this site as well :happyboogie:

Mercial: Thanks for the suggestion on the book, i'll check it out.

As far as the dog parks thing goes; as I mentioned i'm a big outdoors guy. There are quite a few lakes / parks and such nearby (not necessarily dog parks) where i'd like to take my dog, probably daily. I'm not the only person with such a notion. I don't want a dog that every time I walk past another dog is going to give me a problem. I suppose I considered it easier to just say "dog park" when really I mean "population centers" with a number of other owners walking their dogs /// high social contact. My akita could just not be a part of something like that. No matter how much I tried to train her, she could not be around other dogs, people were ok - but as someone mentioned, genetics wins. I'd like not to have that as a problem if possible.

jax08 - you're correct, and not a bad suggestion. That's also why I attempt to be open and honest not only on the forum, but in my interaction with breeders, that way as best as we both can - we are able to determine if their dogs would indeed be a match.

For those who pm'd me , thanks! Great suggestions / info, and I believe I responded toe veryone.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Also whatever you do,, dont take a working dog to a dog park, sure it may start off good but eventually it will end bad I can promise you that. For a while it will go well but then it will start go bad and when it goes bad it will go really bad. You have friends with dogs i am sure (I dont mean police k9s) and can make your own mini dog parks with people you know at each others houses. Me and a couple of friends will hang out and have a bbq at someones house sometimes in the summer and just take our dogs to one of the persons house.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey sorry I just read your dog park comment now, dont worry for what you want any well bred balanced shepherd will be great and quiet. Even my dominant bitch is very good and quiet in public when other dogs are foaming at the mouth and showing teeth as we walk by. As long as they dont touch her she could care less. ALl well bred confidant balanced gsds seem to be like this. Whether they have very strong aggression or none at all I dont think it matters when it comes to that part. Its more how confidant the dog is I think. However when your dog is young he may be more reactive towards other dogs but he will grow out of it with with exposure. Like walking him by dogs on the street. (does not mean you meet other dogs with your pup on the street i would never do that)

Akita i think are more known to be a very dog aggressive dog aren't they? GSD's are not dog aggressive. They are a more dominant dog usually and smarter so they seem to get there way and tend to rule over most dogs. But they arent dog aggressive. Or they shouldn't be thats not a gsd trait like i oftend see with true northern malamutes, akitas, pits etc...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I apologize thinkrevol. if you did use the search engine.

Check out the Xita x Sumo litter of Blackthorn Blackthorn Working German Shepherds -- Available Puppies

Christine is a member of this forum and always posts with knowledge and intelligence. The videos of Sumo on her site are quite impressive. If I was on the market for a puppy I would be very tempted by this litter myself. I am also partial to DDR lines as you are.
She mentions that Sumo is training for a SchH 3, you might want to contact her and see if you can drive down to VA and watch Sumo train. There is nothing like seeing a working dog in the flesh and you can learn so much about a dog's temperament from watching it in training (and also how they behave in the parking lot, crate, toward strangers, other dogs, etc.)

Good luck in your search and enjoy the pup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone, looking to restart this thread. If anyone can help find a reputable DDR breeder in NY or close by, I would really appreciate it.

I’ve been reading this forum for a while now, and it’s been amazing. Thank you all!

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Hello everyone, looking to restart this thread. If anyone can help find a reputable DDR breeder in NY or close by, I would really appreciate it.

I’ve been reading this forum for a while now, and it’s been amazing. Thank you all!
Can I ask what it is about the DDR dogs that appeals to you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts