German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit of a weird question but I need some thoughts on an obedience class I just signed up for.

I have a 6 month old adopted GSD puppy. I have had him for 6 weeks. He is lovely, sweet, cheeky, adorable and seems to be getting very attached to me which is great.

He is a companion dog but I want to train him as high as we can go in obedience and would love to do agility or something similar for fun. I basically just want to do activities with him.

I start an obedience group class in 3 weeks and I just found out they offer something called "Day Training." While I will be attending actual classes once a week for an hour in a group class, they say that everyone in this program should have their dog also attend a day boarding twice a week where a trainer will build a relationship with the dog and do multiple training sessions through out the day to reinforce what is being taught in the current class. They will also do careful dog socialization and find a buddy to let them play if they get on well. I would drop him off 8-10am and pick up at 6.

Now, I do currently take him to Doggie Daycare as I just cannot get back home to let him out mid day twice a week. My hesitation with this day training is that I have this weird "I want to be the only person to train my dog" vibe that is surprising me. I know I have some issues, I get super emotional about my dog needing to be bonded to me and I guess my fear is that he will bond with this trainer and I also want to be the one to train him, not someone else. Am I being weird?

I get if I was doing hardcore dog sports I would want to be the only trainer, but am I being too fussy about a companion dog? I know it will be a ton of work, but I would rather be the one to do it with him. I don't want to miss that :( Besides, I can already tell how in tune he is getting with me and my body language (I have trained him a lot already at home, just basics with ball and treats) and I have unintentionally added in subtleties to each of my commands through body langue that I was unaware of. I'm not sure I want to ruin that? The reason for the group class is I need more structure/ homework in my training and I am unsure about taking this all outside the home. We both need exposure. But do I pass up the opportunity to have an amazing dog that I can take out with confidence? (That is my goal)

So long story short. Will this day training weaken the bond between my puppy and I? We are just getting started and it is SO important to me. Do I let them take my puppy twice a week for a few hours while I work, he gets mental stimulation, play, training reinforced and gets good exposure to things (he has started getting a bit skittish outside and it worries me!) All this sounds amazing, especially when I have such guilt leaving him home for 8 hours a day, but I have this nagging, possessiveness or something about my dog that doesn't want me to let anyone else train him.... Am I being silly?

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
No you're not being silly.Do what you are comfortable with.If you find you need help with a particular problem a trainer that will do private lessons is best.

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
Why? Why would the TRAINER need to build a relationship with your dog? What great advertising for doggie day care.

Will it weaken your bond? That's up to you and how you build that bond. It should not harm your bond if you are still training your dog. Is it beneficial to you, your dog and your checkbook to have the trainer build a bond with your dog? Not in my opinion. I think they just have some really good marketing going on. So your dog trains all day with someone else that will not be an integral part of his life and then he's to tired to train with you at night. No thanks.

Go to your group class. Take your lesson. Practice throughout the week. If you feel that you aren't learning, then find a trainer to help do one on one sessions.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I would pass on it. It sounds like you and your pup are doing great and the daycare you already are using is working for you so why stir up your pups daily routine and training with you. One that he is comfortable with especially if you have added your own nuances to your commands. Don't fix what isn't broken :). I think you've got a good gut sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am just going to do the classes and tell them sorry but I want to be the only person to train my dog. If I do't like the classes or whatever I will find a different school. There seem to be some other options. I am WAY too fussy/possessive of my dog I guess lol...Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why? Why would the TRAINER need to build a relationship with your dog? What great advertising for doggie day care.

Will it weaken your bond? That's up to you and how you build that bond. It should not harm your bond if you are still training your dog. Is it beneficial to you, your dog and your checkbook to have the trainer build a bond with your dog? Not in my opinion. I think they just have some really good marketing going on. So your dog trains all day with someone else that will not be an integral part of his life and then he's to tired to train with you at night. No thanks.

Go to your group class. Take your lesson. Practice throughout the week. If you feel that you aren't learning, then find a trainer to help do one on one sessions.
I also thought it a bit weird that they would build trainer/ puppy relationship. I think it is for boarding and other courses later (they do a 3 week off leash course boarding program too..ah yea, no thanks, please show ME how to do it?!)

And I just wanted to clarify that the day boarding is no extra cost to the classes, which already were **** expensive, but that might be why? what a waste...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The only time I had someone train my dog FOR me during the day is when I left him for boarding at my club, because I had to..was going away for a week, no dogs allowed. I had them track him for me becuase it is the one thing that is time consuming and problematic for me to fit in to my schedule.

Go with your gut. I would be with you on that one..I want to train my own dog. I like group classes (as long as they arent modern positive only free play encouraged type thing) and I have used trainers to guide ME before on how to train..but I train my dog. Das Ende.

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
The only time I had someone train my dog FOR me during the day is when I left him for boarding at my club, because I had to..was going away for a week, no dogs allowed. I had them track him for me becuase it is the one thing that is time consuming and problematic for me to fit in to my schedule.

Go with your gut. I would be with you on that one..I want to train my own dog. I like group classes (as long as they arent modern positive only free play encouraged type thing) and I have used trainers to guide ME before on how to train..but I train my dog. Das Ende.
Do you know you lost your HOT designation because someone else tracked him?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Do you know you lost your HOT designation because someone else tracked him?
No, didn't know that. I will keep it in mind for next guy. HOT would be nice, but I wasnt "hot" for Valor to get his HOT. Thanks for the heads up. So nobody else can do any of the activities in the 3 phases? If you taught them and someone was just running them through for you to help out? For instance, my kids had the flu and my friend took Valor to club for me to air him out and give him a nice day (3 kids with the flu equaled 6 weeks of tending to sick kids between two households. So fun) If you could direct me to the parameters on that it would be great.

·
Registered
31,118 Posts
No, didn't know that. I will keep it in mind for next guy. HOT would be nice, but I wasnt "hot" for Valor to get his HOT. Thanks for the heads up. So nobody else can do any of the activities in the 3 phases? If you taught them and someone was just running them through for you to help out? For instance, my kids had the flu and my friend took Valor to club for me to air him out and give him a nice day (3 kids with the flu equaled 6 weeks of tending to sick kids between two households. So fun) If you could direct me to the parameters on that it would be great.
You have to be present. At least for USCA. Read the rules of your club.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Pretty much "need to be present" across the board. From what I have read today.

TBH Valor's designation of self pride on my part would be a "DILO" trophy. Dog I Learned On lol I needed and gladly accepted a lot of help with sports training with Valor. I'll do this puppy HOT if I can, and will be able to thanks to the people that put their hands on for me and gave my dog some tracking practice while I was in Maine, and took my pent up dog to club when my kids had the flu.

It's not a topic for this thread..but in general I have no problem with trusted friends that your dog is comfortable with giving him some leg work when life bowls you over. At the end of the day in the absence of hanging out a "dog trainer shingle" you don't need a HOT ( an OP probably has no idea what HOT means- it means Handler Owned And Trained) The relief of the dog support village (in my particular set of circumstance) matters more to me. Know what I mean? I was willing to take a friend's dog on the AD, because of bum knees he can't peddle a bike.

There is a difference between someone else teaching your dog and handing him back (which is the original topic of this thread) than there is with letting a trusted friend give your dog some action when he needs it and you can't give it that month. But I digress, in general I like to be the one to teach and handle my own dog :)

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
I've seen it often where someone is laid up, out of town, otherwise unable to work their dog. Other club members will work the dog in any of the phases from tracking to protection. Sometimes the person is there, sometimes they are not. It's not so much "training" as "working" - something to give the dog a break. Never seen anything prohibiting this in IPO.

But back to the original issue - I'd pass on the day training. I'd also stop the dog-walker. By this age, a dog likely doesn't need to go out mid day.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've seen it often where someone is laid up, out of town, otherwise unable to work their dog. Other club members will work the dog in any of the phases from tracking to protection. Sometimes the person is there, sometimes they are not. It's not so much "training" as "working" - something to give the dog a break. Never seen anything prohibiting this in IPO.
For the HOT title, it is required you are at least present from what I read today as a result of this thread. I'm a stickler about earning stuff properly. Is it "needed"?? no. But people who have stuff happen or have to for some reason let others take the reigns..it's fine. They merely didn't "earn" that. I'm cool with it. If the letters appear after my dog's name, I want to have it correct. It's not a mark against you if you can't all the way swing it and I can sleep at night with that, I don't want to diminish the title that belongs to people who could do it though. I'm a purist lol. And while the convo doesn't exactly belong on this thread, I welcome the discussion and education

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
In other words, if there is a stringent regime involved with earning something, I feel better at accepting I couldn't do it this time, rather than having an easier way than others who made every training rain shine or death in the family. Awards are just that- awards. To the OP as you can see, yes there is pride and self gratification involved with steering and bonding with your own dog wholly :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts