German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if I should be concerned or just let nature run its course? when I let her out to use bathroom.. she's still full of energy running around the backyard at speeds you wouldn't expect a pregnant dog this far along to. She had her last litter at 58 days... I'm guessing my question is when should I be concerned... if nothing by day 65? or sooner

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Are you sure she is pregnant? Has she had an ultrasound yet to confirm pups? Some have a false pregnancy and even grow big. Can you see puppies move in her belly? Take her to a vet tomorrow if you are worried.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I haven't done an Ultra-sound... she's been laying lifeless in whelping area since I made this post... if this is false pregnancy would be the weirdest I've ever seen... she bigger than a hog and I can occasionally see her side fluttering

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I have to ask, as a breeder, shouldn’t you know the answer to these questions?
The first sign that your bitch is overdue is if her gestation period starts lagging past the 65-ish day mark, but if she hasn't yet gone into labor by that exact date you shouldn't panic, although you'll definitely want to keep an eye on her. The gestation period is generally anywhere from 57 to 65 days from start to finish, with the average canine pregnancy lasting 63 days.
Some dogs have gone as late as 70, but I would do a vet check up after 65.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to ask, as a breeder, shouldn’t you know the answer to these questions?
The first sign that your bitch is overdue is if her gestation period starts lagging past the 65-ish day mark, but if she hasn't yet gone into labor by that exact date you shouldn't panic, although you'll definitely want to keep an eye on her. The gestation period is generally anywhere from 57 to 65 days from start to finish, with the average canine pregnancy lasting 63 days.
Some dogs have gone as late as 70, but I would do a vet check up after 65.
I'm not a "breeder" and this is her last litter before being spayed. I made this post to get the info you just provided to calm my wife, I'm fine.. but she is very very nervous and scared... only because the last litter came at 58 days. but thanks for the info on your reply

·
Super Moderator
18,672 Posts
I would take her in for x-rays. If she only has 1 or 2 pups she may not go into labor and will need a c-section.

Do you know when she ovulated or are you counting from date of breeding?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm not trying to stir the pot and I have zero experience, but I guess if someone wants to be a "breeder" they have to start somewhere and go into it with some ignorance, no? Just curios OP, would you describe yourself as a BYB or are these pups registered and pedigreed?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I'm not trying to stir the pot and I have zero experience, but I guess if someone wants to be a "breeder" they have to start somewhere and go into it with some ignorance, no? Just curios OP, would you describe yourself as a BYB or are these pups registered and pedigreed?
With ignorance? When there are so many poorly bred GSDs out there, with issues?
No.
You find a reputable breeder, and you are mentored by that person.
Responsible breeding is so much more than tossing a male and a female together.
That is all I will say, this has been discussed ad infinitum, and this topic can be well researched on this forum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't describe myself as a breeder at all because I won't have any litters after this... parents are both registered.. I'm not registering the pups

·
Registered
587 Posts
With ignorance? When there are so many poorly bred GSDs out there, with issues?
No.
You find a reputable breeder, and you are mentored by that person.
Responsible breeding is so much more than tossing a male and a female together.
That is all I will say, this has been discussed ad infinitum, and this topic can be well researched on this forum.
Alrighty. My breeder was and is everything you referenced and more. Mine was only his second litter, I am sure he didn't know everything the first time around, but I am sure he had a mentor. The male and the female were his, he didn't just put them together. I meant ignorance in the pure definitive sense, but probably a poor choice of words. I'll step aside.

I guess I am not going to deem the OP irresponsible or a BYB slapping two dogs together because he asked what seems to be a legit question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts