German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we picked up our new little man on Saturday. It was about a 90 minute drive home and the roads were windy leaving the breeder so he lost his lunch a couple times.

I have to say he's been the best little puppy ever. We haven't started crate training yet, but we will soon. I can't sleep on the couch many more nights!

He has only had a couple of accidents. Mostly he has been great about letting us know when he needs to go outside.

He has barely whined at all. Mostly I think it's because I've been with him almost nonstop since we picked him up.

We're going to start clicker training and crate training tomorrow. I also want to start him on raw tomorrow.

He has just been such a great little boy. We're naming him Dutch. We took a bunch of pictures but we can't find the chord to upload them onto our computer :(

I'm going to pick up a new chord tonight hopefully and then we'll post them up!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's so cute! And Dutch is a great name- sounds like he's off to a good start. I put our pup's crates next to our bed and they slept really well and I could hear if they needed to go out. I think they were in our room for about 4 wks, then I moved the crate out to the kitchen. By then they were sleeping though the night anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's so cute! And Dutch is a great name- sounds like he's off to a good start. I put our pup's crates next to our bed and they slept really well and I could hear if they needed to go out. I think they were in our room for about 4 wks, then I moved the crate out to the kitchen. By then they were sleeping though the night anyway.
Unfortunately we can barely fit our queen sized bed in our bedroom, let alone his 48 inch crate :(

Did you just throw your pups in the crate or did you try to build them up to it? One hour at a time, two hours at a time, etc?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well I had them in it the first night, I put in a t shirt I had worn, a big towel, a stuffed toy and popped them in with a treat, no big goodnights or anything, then turned off the light. [I didn't get them at the same time so they weren't in there together, there's a 3 mo age difference.] I still crate them when I leave the house which is only a few hours at a time but not overnight. Never had any problem starting them on the crate, Stosh wasn't crazy about going in so I gave him his favorite treat only when it was time to go in it. I've read from others that have had difficulties getting them used to the crate will put them in for short periods, throw toys and treats in a game to make them run in and out. If your pup cries, you can try covering the crate so it's a dark cozy den. You can always spend a few more nights on the sofa next to the crate and sneak off to bed when he falls asleep

1 - 4 of 4 Posts