German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all is ok except we are still shaken. Beau is just fine.

About 4 am we woke up to a scream-well it wasn't a scream scream scream -- he just did it once and we went running. Took us a minute to figure out what was going on....expected a caught paw but Beau got the buckle of a flat collar caught in the crate wires. I have used crates with my dogs since 1982 and never had this one. Simple flat collar.

Well, the good news is he did not freak but just gave us this "look" like
don't ask" and allowed us to free him without any struggle. I then went out back with him and the first thing he did was pick up his jolly ball and shove it at me. Went back into the crate fine, this time without the collar.

Those things haunt you. I can count on one hand the number of times we have had dogs hung up somehow in a crate. On the other hand, various appendages caught on things in the yard. Makes you worry, what if you had gone shopping and couldn't hear him? I know this dog and, loose in the house, he would get into a predicament because he has 'satiable curoiusity.

Several antacids later. I know they are freakish but......you know.....

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Glad he is okay.

I just had to get a new crate and the instructions said to be sure not to leave a dog in one unsupervised with any collar on.

Like you said, many more things to get into outside of their crates!

I've left foster collars on when they first get here, definitely not going to now.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Wow, I'm glad he's ok. I was always an advocate for wearing collars 24/7 for ID purposes and something to grab in an emergency but I admit I've gone the opposite and neither of my dogs wears a collar unless we're outside the house. They both just have leather flat buckle collars

Never had an incident but I've heard too many horror stories :(

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I even keep collars snug because they are less likely to get caught. I have never left him with a Martingale on because once he managed to get his front paw through the chain. Well, nomo. He is chipped and I had the vet check it to make sure it works. I think I am going to premake a lost dog flyer even though it has been close to 30 years since I had a dog loose for more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When my girl was a puppy she wore a collar with tags. One day I came home from work and she shot out of her crate like a demon was after her. I looked and her collar was still in the crate, but her tags were not. I guess that her tags got caught in the crate wires and she panicked until her collar broke. After a half hour she was fine. Nobody wears collars at home, only when we leave the property.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Wow glad he's fine, that's a scary site to see...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm glad your dog is ok. my dog never has a collar when we're home.
i think it's to many things the collar can get caught on. after one
incident with a dog getting caught on something in a crate
why would put them in that position again. you can count on one
hand how many times it's happen so that means it's happened more than once.

Ok, all is ok except we are still shaken. Beau is just fine.

About 4 am we woke up to a scream-well it wasn't a scream scream scream -- he just did it once and we went running. Took us a minute to figure out what was going on....expected a caught paw but Beau got the buckle of a flat collar caught in the crate wires. I have used crates with my dogs since 1982 and never had this one. Simple flat collar.

Well, the good news is he did not freak but just gave us this "look" like
don't ask" and allowed us to free him without any struggle. I then went out back with him and the first thing he did was pick up his jolly ball and shove it at me. Went back into the crate fine, this time without the collar.

Those things haunt you.

>>>>> I can count on one hand the number of times we have had dogs hung up somehow in a crate. <<<<<

On the other hand, various appendages caught on things in the yard. Makes you worry, what if you had gone shopping and couldn't hear him? I know this dog and, loose in the house, he would get into a predicament because he has 'satiable curoiusity.

Several antacids later. I know they are freakish but......you know.....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i know someone who's dog was on a wooden deck. he laid
down and his tags went between the space in the flooring.
the dog was saved with no problems.

When my girl was a puppy she wore a collar with tags. One day I came home from work and she shot out of her crate like a demon was after her. I looked and her collar was still in the crate, but her tags were not. I guess that her tags got caught in the crate wires and she panicked until her collar broke. After a half hour she was fine. Nobody wears collars at home, only when we leave the property.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts