German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SAR bug, that is :). My nine year old daughter and I went to watch / hide for a local search and rescue group, and I had a blast. I'd really really like to join. They are looking for new members. I keep thinking of reasons that I shouldn't join (two young-ish kids, one with special needs, my job with odd hours, my husband's job with a lot of hours, I would have to get another dog since I think Frieda's dog dog reactivity would make her a wash out despite her nose and hunt drive), but I still want to take the plunge.

Am I crazy? Is there an antidote for this? I went to work at the hospital after training, and when I was cleaning up after a delivery I saw the placenta and umbilical cord and my first thought was, "Wow, those would be great for HRD training - I wish we didn't have to throw it away...."

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would say - get involved without the dog and see if it holds after a lot of training and some search callouts and if it does, THEN make the plunge. Which team (we do mutual aid with some of the GA teams)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
That is a very good and very professional team! We have done several cooperative searches with each other. I would discuss any concerns with them and listen to their suggestions. Luster won't fade. First time you are at a search where a kid is found alive you will be hooked for life, especially as a parent. Many kids who go missing have special needs (autism)

Some dog reactivity can be worked through and some cannot. People reactivity is a no brainer reason for dismissal though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know the team has a good reputation! I was impressed as well. I talked with them briefly about Frieda, so we'll see how it goes. I need plenty of training first, though :).

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
They know what they are doing and have good training from what I have seen. Just trust them and follow their directions and guidance, and I think you will do well. Chain of Command is very important in SAR teams and emergencies in general and one of the toughest parts with working with volunteers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts