German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all...new GSD family here...added our little guy to the family earlier this month. He'll join our 8 year old yellow lab Cooper after we lost his black labrador big sis and companion Winnie earlier this year to cancer.

His name is Dexter. Haven't settled on an AKC name yet, but Darkly Dashing Dexter might be it.

Yes...its a bit of an homage to the Dexter novels written by Jeff Lindsey and the Showtime TV series. The wife and I are big fans of the books and the TV show. As we've told our daughters..."Dexter will only be scary to bad guys." *lol*

So far he's doing great. Cooper wrestles with him non-stop and the girls are in love with him. Wife is happy to have a new pup. I get another "boy" in the house to balance things out!

He also met my sister's 8yo male GSD Samson during Thanksgiving.

Pics:

First Pic of Dex...stopped to let him pee on the ride home:

Dexter Surveying His New Yard (3.5 months old)

Dexter's Cousin Samson (my sister's 8yo male GSD)

Trying to be like Cooper...favorite time of the day is bedtime books with our oldest daughter, when the dogs are allowed to jump up on the bed...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, and those are sure some nice looking dogs! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great name...love the show also....great looking dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome! LOVE the pictures! especially the last one. he's a handsome pup!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Love the books and the TV show! Great name for your dog. He's a cutie, and how lucky is your daughter??? She's got lovely doggy companions.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I love that 2nd pic - he looks hesitantly confidant. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's a cutie, and how lucky is your daughter??? She's got lovely doggy companions.
We figure Dex will be the main dog our oldest daughter remembers from growing up. If he makes it to 12yo then he'll be with her from 6 through 18.

One of the reasons we selected his breeder was the fact that they had two girls (5 and 7) that are around the dogs and pups pretty much 24x7. So all of their pups are highly socialized and used to kids being around them from an early age.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love that 2nd pic - he looks hesitantly confidant. :D
About 5 seconds after I took that picture, a very loud work truck turned the corner. Dex took one look, got startled by the exhaust noise, and ran for the hills. :D

Now that he's been with us a few weeks I can see the confidence level rising quickly. Just gotta make sure he never starts chasing trucks!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's so cute! A friend of mine from high school is one of the producers of Dexter- I'll tell him about this adorable namesake

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's so cute! A friend of mine from high school is one of the producers of Dexter- I'll tell him about this adorable namesake
*lol*

Small world!

If they need a dog for the show, maybe we can work something out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jingle Pups!

Looks like Dex's ears are officially UP! *lol*

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
YAY Dexter!!! Wicked cool ears and "wreaths."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts