German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so PROUD of my puppy! :D

Last night in novice obedience he finally successfully maintanied his sit/stays and down/stays at a 6' distance while they brought around a loud clapper, large shake can an noisy kid toy on a rope. He ignored the big chunk of food in front of him and watched me so he could get rewarded by me. All through puppy and the first 3 classes of novice he was too nervy and scared of the toys that make noise coming by him, so he broke the stays and tried to bolt. The trainer had me taking him out everywhere possible (the usual socialization) and rewarding constantly as he stayed in place. It has finally paid off and he's learned that good things come from me even when something scary is going on around him.

At home, nothing fazed him as much as I tried to work him through his nerves, but out and about he would get nervous. Also, at home when I call him to "come" he comes flying and sits front and center as he's been taught, no matter what distance I put him at (we work further than 6' at home). At training he would get scared and try to run behind me out of nerves rather than be confident and just come. Last night he was scrambling his feet on the floor to come and ears perked up, very happy and not scared at all. He finished properly too. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
good job!!! good boy Dante!!! keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Wow! Great job to you and to Dante!

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's great!! Congrats to you and Dante! He is such a handsome boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.