German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been silently stalking the site for some time, think it's about time to contribute a little as well, so I'll start with a "hello from Denmark" together with a few pics of the beast. She's a 17 month old lively pup, so far the only dog in the household, but I'm planning getting her a "Little Brother" within a year or two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Welcome.Your girl does look lively. She is a beautiful girl. Look forward to hearing all about her. We are in Ohio.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:welcome: You have a beautiful dog :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for the welcome. She is really the perfect dog - but hopefully all of us thinks that about our GSD's. Perfect temper and perfect hips - only downside to her is her size, she's just above breeding standards on height and weight. Although it could be interresting to get and keep one of her own pups breeding has never been a priority

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
FWIW, my dog Beau has some solid Danish (DKK) lines in his motherline from around 1920 to 1970 at which point some incursions of SV lines started appearing

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I've been silently stalking the site for some time, think it's about time to contribute a little as well, so I'll start with a "hello from Denmark" together with a few pics of the beast. She's a 17 month old lively pup, so far the only dog in the household, but I'm planning getting her a "Little Brother" within a year or two.
Hi, welcome to the Forum. I'm following the troubles with the new law in Denmark. Is it really as horrible as my German friends report and the German newspaper report about it? I love Denmark and we've been travelling to the Northern Sea and Kopenhagen every Summer when I was a child and teenager.

Hope it won't give you any troubles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's not as bad as some german newspapers make it out to be, but we do have problems. A few years back some breeds were banned in Denmark, if you own one of the banned dogs that's younger than the breed ban, then it will be put down even if it is a well balanced dog. I can't remember the complete list, but pitbull terriers and American staffordshire terriers are the most popular/well known of the banned dogs.

Together with the breed ban the government also made punishment on dog bites more severe, and that's were the real problems lies. We've had a recent case with a 7 year old GSD that might have kickstarted a change of current laws. You can read more about the Thor case here German shepherd slated for destruction kidnapped by cop - National Dogs | Examiner.com

This article doesn't tell the full story. At first the owner received a fine and everything was OK. But then the bite wound became infected and they had to drain the wound which meant cutting it up and sewing the dog back together. That moved the bite into a more lethal category which meant Thor had to undergo a psych evaluation. He was sent to a dog impound that's being run by a self appointed dog psycologist, he deemed that Thor was an unstable dog, based on the fact that he didn't seek close contact with the people working at the impound. Removing a 7 year old dog from his home will of course affect the dog - this wasn't really taken into consideration. After Thor was freed by a Danish police officer (not a fake officer as stated in the article), who lost his job doing so, they found clear signs of mistreatment from his stay at the impound. He was suffering from untreated pneumonia.

Thor is still "on the run", likely he's been moved to Norway or Sweden.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, my dog Beau has some solid Danish (DKK) lines in his motherline from around 1920 to 1970 at which point some incursions of SV lines started appearing
I know that in Europe, Danish breeds from the 20's and onwards have been popular. In most of europe only male dogs were surveyed. The Danish GSD association decided to survey both males and bitches. With a line running from the 20's up to the 70's I'm guessing I know at least one long lost relative :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
It's not as bad as some german newspapers make it out to be, but we do have problems. A few years back some breeds were banned in Denmark, if you own one of the banned dogs that's younger than the breed ban, then it will be put down even if it is a well balanced dog. I can't remember the complete list, but pitbull terriers and American staffordshire terriers are the most popular/well known of the banned dogs.

Together with the breed ban the government also made punishment on dog bites more severe, and that's were the real problems lies. We've had a recent case with a 7 year old GSD that might have kickstarted a change of current laws. You can read more about the Thor case here German shepherd slated for destruction kidnapped by cop - National Dogs | Examiner.com

This article doesn't tell the full story. At first the owner received a fine and everything was OK. But then the bite wound became infected and they had to drain the wound which meant cutting it up and sewing the dog back together. That moved the bite into a more lethal category which meant Thor had to undergo a psych evaluation. He was sent to a dog impound that's being run by a self appointed dog psycologist, he deemed that Thor was an unstable dog, based on the fact that he didn't seek close contact with the people working at the impound. Removing a 7 year old dog from his home will of course affect the dog - this wasn't really taken into consideration. After Thor was freed by a Danish police officer (not a fake officer as stated in the article), who lost his job doing so, they found clear signs of mistreatment from his stay at the impound. He was suffering from untreated pneumonia.

Thor is still "on the run", likely he's been moved to Norway or Sweden.
Yeah, I followed that Story about Thor. Fair Dog is doing a lot of work but one the dogs were kidnapped and people go as far as saying the danish government did it because they wanted a reason to get fair dog out of the picture.

The Germans love "their" Denmark as travel destination with their dogs. From what I gathered every dog that remotely looks like one of the banned breeds can be seized and destroyed. Which is why there is such a hysteria going on, I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, I followed that Story about Thor. Fair Dog is doing a lot of work but one the dogs were kidnapped and people go as far as saying the danish government did it because they wanted a reason to get fair dog out of the picture.

The Germans love "their" Denmark as travel destination with their dogs. From what I gathered every dog that remotely looks like one of the banned breeds can be seized and destroyed. Which is why there is such a hysteria going on, I guess.
The western coast of Denmark has always been a popular destination for germans, and often germans with dogs. But they are more protected than a Danish resident. It's true that Danish residents risk having their dog killed if you can't prove that the dog isn't a mixed breed containing one of the banned dogs. But I don't believe that any official would dare to put down a dog belonging to a tourist. The amount of problems and bad publicity that would create is not something the govenment is ready to put on their shoulders.

Fair dog had a good case going on the dog that was kidnapped (not related to Thor), I know many of Fair Dog's supporters would like to believe that the government was behind it, but I doubt it. Eventhough this was a major blow to Fair Dog, the reverse damage to the government would be catastrophic if they were caught in the act doing something like this. But one can never be sure as long as the dog is still missing.

The breed ban had a lot of support back before the ugly face of the new reality for dogs in Denmark showed itself, that support is dwindling. There's also a measureable drop in tourism on the western coast (at least according to business owners), and the image of Denmark is suffering. The government is right now talking about changes to current laws, so hopefully the madness will end within this year.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
The western coast of Denmark has always been a popular destination for germans, and often germans with dogs. But they are more protected than a Danish resident. It's true that a Danish resident risk having their dog killed if you can't prove that the dog isn't a mixed breed containing one of the banned dogs. But I don't believe that any official would dare to put down a dog belonging to a tourist. The amount of problems and bad publicity that would create is not something the govenment is ready to put on their shoulders.

Fair dog had a good case going on the dog that was kidnapped (not related to Thor), I know many of Fair Dog's supporters would like to believe that the government was behind it, but I doubt it. Eventhough this was a major blow to Fair Dog, the reverse damage to the government would be catastrophic if they were caught in the act doing something like this. But one can never be sure as long as the dog is still missing.

The breed ban had a lot of support back before the ugly face of the new reality for dogs in Denmark showed itself, that support is dwindling. There's also a measureable drop in tourism on the western coast (at least according to business owners), and the image of Denmark is suffering. The government is right now talking about changes to current laws, so hopefully the madness will end within this year.
Yeah, I am following the German side of Fair Dog and how upset they were when the dog got kidnapped out of the Foster Home, because the dog was safe. Some said it was out of their own ranks but didn't know who it was, others are dead set on the opinion that the Government did it because no one would be that stupid to steal a safe dog.

They really had a good case and it could have set a precedence, is that correct?

Yeah, I love the western coast, that is where we always went and we always had our dogs with us and stayed on a camping ground. Also, always loved to go ride on the beach with the Iceland Ponies :wub:

Due to the press a lot of dog folks are no longer traveling to Denmark, mainly out of protest though others are not going out of fear to lose their dog.

It is something I will definitely continue to follow and I'm glad that the Government is re-thinking the law. BSL is never the answer and just doesn't work.

Like in the case of Thor, how can you make the dog responsible for a wound getting infected? Isn't the caregiver at fault for not properly caring for the wound? :help:
Just doesn't make any sense. And taking dogs just because they look like there could be a Bully in them is outrageous. Especially when you think how people don't have the slightest clue to appoint the correct breed. :help:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts