German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I was 'educated' on today by a customer in the lobby of the vet's office today. A new dog that we just got in yesterday happens to be a Pit Bull/ Boxer/something mix and she, along with Casja had to go in for some stuff today. Anyway this woman gets up to go to the other side of the lobby when we came in, which was fine. The issue that I had is that she took it upon herself to lecture me about having two dangerous dogs and that 'All of my kind' are blinded by love when it comes to having large dog breeds.

Some people may be, but most people don't deny the fact that certain dogs can cause a lot of damage to someone. That is why I thought we had something called training and being responsible.

I wasn't getting into an argument with this lady because she was so adamant, but she said that she has never had a dog and doesn't care for them. But she 'knows' that all large dogs are ticking time bombs, especially 'those'(referring to the Pit mix and German Shepherd I had).

It gets a little old when people who really don't know the facts that they think they do, but yet they don't want to learn anything new either.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I'm glad she has never had a dog.
She doesn't deserve one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wouldn't it just be hilarious to silently walk up to her with your 'dangerous dogs', slap her in the face, and sit back down!?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
What on earth did you say?

I think I would have smiled and said, "You know, you are absolutely right." :D

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Why do people think anyone cares about their opinions? I'm glad I'm old and jaded and can look someone in the eye and tell them I'm not interested in what they believe. I know that sounds extremely rude, but so is offering unsolicited advice.

ETA: Yeah, Lauri! Best answer!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've only ever been bit by a dog 2 times in my life and they were both jack Russell's, I don't think I could have kept mouth shut.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Well, In my opinion.. It is not the dog. It is the owner that's the problem.. The dog will definitely do whatever it can to please the owner, right down to killing another animal for you. If they are brought up in a loving household, they can flourish just like any other dog,..
Well, there are weak nerved and aggressive dogs, too. It's not always possible to fix it with "love."

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've only ever been bit by a dog 2 times in my life and they were both jack Russell's, I don't think I could have kept mouth shut.
The only dog who has ever bitten me was small poodle mix.

I don't trust pits in general. We had a few and they could get aggressive towards each other and it didn't take much. They never once tried to attack me though. Even when I was breaking up a fight between about 4 of them.

When I see pits out I'm not concerned for my safety I really don't want them attacking my dogs. I've seen the damage they do. Do I lecture people who own them? Absolutely not. They may have only had positive experiences with them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'll admit that these dogs being handled by ignorant people can be dangerous, but an educated owner is really the difference. My best friend has two Pitbulls, and I love them. In fact, being around them helped ease my fears over the breed and really look at them in a different light. That lady sounds like maybe she was traumatized or something by a large breed early on, or knew someone who was and acquired their fear.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
You were really nice. I would have told her that my dogs aren't dangerous but I sure am and she really should shut her mouth.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I wasn't getting into an argument with this lady because she was so adamant, but she said that she has never had a dog and doesn't care for them. But she 'knows' that all large dogs are ticking time bombs, especially 'those'(referring to the Pit mix and German Shepherd I had).
You were nice. I would have said my dogs aren't ticking time bombs, I am. Get the (word deleted) out of my face or you will find out what dangerous really is.

·
Banned
377 Posts
I would like to have said, "What you just said shows how little you know about dogs."
or even better
Show her the scar on the back of my middle finger where I was bitten by a little dog.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
You were nice. I would have said my dogs aren't ticking time bombs, I am.
Yeah.
"I am also stockpiling food, water and ammo. For when The Time comes."
Followed by a deadpan expression and a fixed-eye stare. :rofl:

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Real World

I'll admit that these dogs being handled by ignorant people can be dangerous, but an educated owner is really the difference.
AugustGSD, in the REAL WORLD any idiot with a few bucks can go the local shelter and pick up a dog, young or old, and be a poor owner with the attendant problems with the dog. Educated owners do not exactly abound in those circumstance.

Again, in the REAL WORLD some breeds readily available for a few bucks to the ignorant owner are more likely to attack someone or someone's animal and to do real damage when they do. Pits are one of them.

There are more.

In my view, the public's negative perception of some breeds is well-justified. If in some people's minds problem the breeds include all large dogs, including GSDs, they still have well-justified opinion.

It's best to just train your own dog to high standards, avoid confrontations with the fearful, never provoke someone who's already frightened of animals and simply do what you can with problematic owners through positive contact.

Fear makes some people decidedly zany. Let's not compound the problem by being provocateurs.

LF

1 - 20 of 77 Posts