German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is starting to get some dandruff/dry skin.

Any suggestions?

Vet just recommended a bath.
Breeder recommended "Show Stopper" from PetCo, along with a bath.

If bath is recommended, what kind is best to use for my pup without ruining his soft coat? (He's 11wks)(I've clearly never bathed him)

Help?! I just wanna do whatever is best for my pup.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hmmm, I don't feed kibble but have heard that's a very good food.

I use Earthbath shampoo, it's very gentle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I don't feed kibble but have heard that's a very good food.

I use Earthbath shampoo, it's very gentle.

I just went to PetCo yesterday. I ended up getting EarthBath with oatmeal and aloe. To relieve itching and dryness.

They were out of the puppy one, so I ended up getting the regular one. The associate assured me that it was the same thing, except that the puppy one was "tear free".

Should I just use it? Or should I really go to another PetCo (not close) to find the puppy one.

I just wanna use it on his back and don't plan to use it on his head.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
More fish oil wont hurt, coconut oil might be worth trying as well.

I also love earthbath!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More fish oil wont hurt, coconut oil might be worth trying as well.

I also love earthbath!

When I got his shampoo, I also purchased "Show Stopper" to help improve his coat.

Show Stopper is a powder you mix with food, so today he barely had his first daily serving. Hopefully I notice a difference!

And I will be bathing him when it gets a little cooler outside (it's 94 degrees out). Looking forward to bathing him! Shampoo smells great!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Freestep on the board is a dog groomer. I hope she see's your post. She always has good recommendations.

I used the same Earthbath when my boy was a pup, actually still do today. The oatmeal & aloe.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Earthbath is a good, mild dog shampoo and shouldn't cause any problems whether it's the puppy formula or not. Don't be afraid to bathe your pup as often as you need to, as long as you use the Earthbath. In fact, getting him used to being bathed now, while he's small, is a good thing! While you're at it, see if you can trim his nails, or at least, play with his feet a lot so when you do need to trim his nails, he won't freak out over it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Earthbath is a good, mild dog shampoo and shouldn't cause any problems whether it's the puppy formula or not. Don't be afraid to bathe your pup as often as you need to, as long as you use the Earthbath. In fact, getting him used to being bathed now, while he's small, is a good thing! While you're at it, see if you can trim his nails, or at least, play with his feet a lot so when you do need to trim his nails, he won't freak out over it.
Thank you Freestep! And yes, I was so skeptical about bathing him. My mentality was bathing a dog more than 4 or 5 times a YEAR was BAD!!! Now I'm coming to find out that once a week is ok! Haha.

And yes, his nails are starting to become a BIG problem. Scratching people, and digging holes in our couch is becoming more and more often.

He stays indoor with us and only goes out to do his dirty business... so I'm thinking once a month for now is ok? as far as bathing goes that is.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Back in the old days, everyone said you should only bathe your dog twice a YEAR! But that was back when dog shampoos were very harsh. Nowadays there are many very mild, gentle shampoos that won't strip the oils out of the coat.

Bathing once a month would be just fine, as long as you're using Earthbath and not anything harsh or cheap. Get some pliers-type nail trimmers (not the Resco guillotine-type) and practice nail trimming, or at least play with his feet a lot so he gets used to having his feet handled. Practice cleaning his ears, too, so he gets used to that. You can use any ear cleaner you find at the pet supply store, or you can use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (half and half is fine). Put it on a cotton ball and get down into his ears as far as you can see. And get him used to having his tail picked up, so you can clean his butt. Puppies often need that. :) It's a good idea to get into the habit of brushing him daily, as GSDs are notorious for shedding, and the more you brush, the less hair will be all over your floor and furniture. A soft slicker brush will be best to start with.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i like earthbath or any of the natural or organic shampoos.
GSDNewbie1024 why won't you use the shampoo on your dog's head?
dandruff management may start with managing from the inside out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like earthbath or any of the natural or organic shampoos.
GSDNewbie1024 why won't you use the shampoo on your dog's head?
dandruff management may start with managing from the inside out.
Because (as I think I mentioned), when I went to the store they said they were out of the puppy "tear-free" kind. So I got one that wasn't instead.

I just didn't want it to go into his eyes as this was the first time I bathed him. He was moving around, jumping and doing all things OTHER than chilling and enjoying the bath.

I just didn't wanna irritate his eyes is all. That doesn't mean his head will never be washed. lol

If you read the comments below... He is on a good diet, and now on Show Stopper. Specifically designed for coat improvement. Since bathing him and using Show Stopper... I have yet to see any dandruff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back in the old days, everyone said you should only bathe your dog twice a YEAR! But that was back when dog shampoos were very harsh. Nowadays there are many very mild, gentle shampoos that won't strip the oils out of the coat.

Bathing once a month would be just fine, as long as you're using Earthbath and not anything harsh or cheap. Get some pliers-type nail trimmers (not the Resco guillotine-type) and practice nail trimming, or at least play with his feet a lot so he gets used to having his feet handled. Practice cleaning his ears, too, so he gets used to that. You can use any ear cleaner you find at the pet supply store, or you can use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (half and half is fine). Put it on a cotton ball and get down into his ears as far as you can see. And get him used to having his tail picked up, so you can clean his butt. Puppies often need that. :) It's a good idea to get into the habit of brushing him daily, as GSDs are notorious for shedding, and the more you brush, the less hair will be all over your floor and furniture. A soft slicker brush will be best to start with.
Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
You're welcome! Don't worry too much about washing his head, as long as you keep the shampoo out of his eyes, you can go ahead and wash his head, face, and ears. If you dilute the shampoo with water before you put it on him, less chance of irritation if you accidentally get some in his eyes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts