German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dallas is a shepherd of sorts. He is 4-6 months and that is questionable. Ever since I've got him and been giving him medicine and baths. He also lost some weight thank god he was to fat before. I can see he has a waist now :). He's been getting real protective of me and his area. I know a lot of gsd owners have PPD. I was wondering if there is away to make him less protective . what type of training would this be.

His behavior now is him hearing things outside his home and it sets him of. He even goes as far as trying to jump the brick wall to get them. I may regret not having a real protective dog. me and bubbles like to go to dog parks, lakes, a lot of public places including bars.I want Dallas to be social and calm and be a part of our little pack everywhere. if it isn't in his nature then I'll let it be. But since he's so young I'm hoping to modify his behavior now.

Unfortunately I socialized bubbles on the small side of the dog park with the small dogs and children. Right now its about 115 degrees out so walking in public place or parks is out of the question. I don't want him to end up really protective and left at home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,388 Posts
This is not protectiveness. This is lack of training and socialization. Find a good trainer and get him socialized to new things.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not protectiveness. This is lack of training and socialization. Find a good trainer and get him socialized to new things.
How would you know you haven't seen him. Anyways I've been training him on sit lay down stay and come so far. Its been hard BC he can't sit still. He is getting better at it though.

·
Registered
32,388 Posts
You are correct. I have never seen him. Good luck with your dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's probably not protective. It's probably reactive... And needs to be addressed. He needs some formal training... Can you hire a GSD trainer or IPO/ SchH trainer nearby?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Another for not it not being protective.

He is hyperalert, reactive maybe even fearful. Trying to climb the brick wall - what happens when he finally does? A bite?

Showing this behavior at 4-6 months? You need to locate an experienced trainer familiar with this type of behavior and begin training.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
From your description I agree with the other posters: this sounds like fearfulness. I have had two dogs like this and it was quite a challenge to manage them.

When do you start obedience classes?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another for not it not being protective.

He is hyperalert, reactive maybe even fearful. Trying to climb the brick wall - what happens when he finally does? A bite?

Showing this behavior at 4-6 months? You need to locate an experienced trainer familiar with this type of behavior and begin training.
I'm going to address this one lsst time before i ignore the thread. that he is being protective. no offense but it does me no good to lie about what is happening. I can't get help if I'm lying or getting bad advice from a "I know it all attitude" about what is happening.

To address what if he did bite some one. That is why I'm asking this question. Before it happens.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel stupid but I did ask a direct question . I don't feel its up to interpretation and if I don't get a direct answer I will ignore you.

·
Registered
32,388 Posts
I'm sure you didn't make anyone responding to this thread feel stupid.

The response is find a trainer to help you deal with this, regardless of what you want to call it. As you've stated, we haven't seen the dog so therefore we can not give you proper advice. You are welcome to ignore that advice.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Bubbles,

The title of your thread would suggest that you were asking the forum to help you understand if your dog is indeed protective, or if, perhaps, there is something else going on.

Posters likely responded with that in mind. I highly doubt that their intention was to upset you or insult you. It seemed that they were trying to directly answer the question suggested by the title of your thread.

However, after reading your post more closely, it seems that maybe the question you really want answered is to how to make your dog less protective? I think many of the answers would be the same... bring the dog to training, have it evaluated by a trainer, etc...

Wishing you all the best!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why is it offensive to you that people here would put forth the idea that your dog's motivation might be different than how you are reading it? I mean, if you knew everything there is to know about dogs you wouldn't be asking for help here, right?

I've gotten it wrong when trying to figure out my own dog before. Probably most people around here have. :confused:

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
His behavior now is him hearing things outside his home and it sets him of
how is this being protective? he's protecting you from what? he doesnt even know if the noise is a threat or not. sounds fearful to me. a protective dog doesnt freak out at every noise. stop fooling yourself

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's not being protective. It could be a fear reaction...who knows. Riley was starting to get like that, not to the degree of your dog, and we went to training. It helped a lot.
Do you take him out in public at all. To socialize. If so if he barks at people or other dogs what is his body language like?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
no offense but it does me no good to lie about what is happening.
No one's saying you're lying about the situation. It probably does seem like he's being protective from a human's perspective. You're just not correct.

Do you really think a 4-6 month old has the maturity level to even know what protection is on their own natural instincts at that age? He's still just a baby.

He's being fearful and reactive. I'm with the others... get a professional trainer involved.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
how is this being protective? he's protecting you from what? he doesnt even know if the noise is a threat or not. sounds fearful to me. a protective dog doesnt freak out at every noise. stop fooling yourself
This^^^

Your pup is putting on show to sound big bad and scary to make whatever noise he is hearing to stop and go away. Fear is not always displayed by a dog cowing down with its tail tucked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts