German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Daisy out yesterday morning to perform her morning vigil (bathroom break, look and smell around, mark territory and chase cats.) Why she doesn’t go in OUR backyard I’ll never know, suffice to say it’s nice having a clean yard and yes we do pickup after her.
Anyway, we were out doing our morning rounds when she spotted a cat on the other side of our dead end street. She crossed slowly ready for the attack and me encouraging her.
When we got to the cat she started barking and lunging at the cat and snapping, tail going the whole time.
Cat came across with a left paw to the snout, Daisy backed up and went back in. All I saw was a couple more swings from the cat before it ran. Thought nothing of it, praised her for chasing away those **** stray’s.
I get to work later and realize I have blood on my pants, thought it was just from her paw that I saw get swatted. When I got home Daisy was happy go lucky again but my gf said her one eye was red. I figured it was nothing serious.
Then Daisy did what she doesn’t do till we are headed to bed. She went and laid on the landing of the stairs, half way up. She never does it till bed time and that’s her spot at night.
I looked and the cat had sliced into her left eyeball.
This morning we stuck the E collar on her and she didn’t look happy, so my gf felt really bad and took the day off to watch her without the collar on.
Antibiotics, Pain medication, eye drops, and $233 later.. she’s at home.
I feel sooo bad that I didn’t see the blood right away and that she got cut. It’s a cat/dog battle but she’s my pooch!

QUESTION: I cannot believe I’m asking this.. but who has good medical coverage for Daisy?

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
this is why you should never encourage your dog to chase cats.

as for insurance I have no idea, when my cat got Dodger it didn't cost too much.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I took Daisy out yesterday morning to perform her morning vigil (bathroom break, look and smell around, mark territory and chase cats.) Why she doesn’t go in OUR backyard I’ll never know, suffice to say it’s nice having a clean yard and yes we do pickup after her.
Anyway, we were out doing our morning rounds when she spotted a cat on the other side of our dead end street. She crossed slowly ready for the attack and me encouraging her.
When we got to the cat she started barking and lunging at the cat and snapping, tail going the whole time.
Cat came across with a left paw to the snout, Daisy backed up and went back in. All I saw was a couple more swings from the cat before it ran. Thought nothing of it, praised her for chasing away those **** stray’s.
I get to work later and realize I have blood on my pants, thought it was just from her paw that I saw get swatted. When I got home Daisy was happy go lucky again but my gf said her one eye was red. I figured it was nothing serious.
Then Daisy did what she doesn’t do till we are headed to bed. She went and laid on the landing of the stairs, half way up. She never does it till bed time and that’s her spot at night.
I looked and the cat had sliced into her left eyeball.
This morning we stuck the E collar on her and she didn’t look happy, so my gf felt really bad and took the day off to watch her without the collar on.
Antibiotics, Pain medication, eye drops, and $233 later.. she’s at home.
I feel sooo bad that I didn’t see the blood right away and that she got cut. It’s a cat/dog battle but she’s my pooch!
QUESTION: I cannot believe I’m asking this.. but who has good medical coverage for Daisy?
Thanks
Jake
You encouraged your dog to attack a cat? What the H%^% did you expect to happen? Your dog to kill the cat?

Did you not expect the cat to fight back as well as it could?

Not a real bright thing to do.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why would you encourage your dog to chase a cat?

First, how could you not foresee something like this possibly happening?

Second, what if she killed the cat? The cat, which is probably somebody's pet?

Ridiculous. I'm happy your dog is ok no... but just ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Even if you don't like cats, they do not deserve to be attacked by your dog. So now your dog will think its ok to kill smaller animals, sorry its not ok it is wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
As a cat owner (indoor cats) and cat lover, I am appalled that you encourage this behavior in your dog. Shame on you!
I feel sorry for the dog getting injured, but glad the cat defended himself.
You got what you deserved. Hopefully you'll think twice now that your wallet has been hit!

She crossed slowly ready for the attack and me encouraging her
This statement sickens me.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have so much to say, but suspect I best not say anything.

I am glad that your pup only had a scratch to her eye, and I guess she'll heal in time. I would feel really bad if my GSD had to endure pain because of my ignorance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the old rivalry between cats/dogs doesn't play well in todays society?

She likes to chase them and bark, it's in her nature... who am I to argue?

Yes I don't like cats, used to love them to death but I can't stand stray cats and we have about 4-5 of them ****ting and pissing all over the place, scratching the hoods of the cars outside, fighting all night long...

yea I'll probably be more carefull when she wants to play with a cat next time but you have to remember that even thought I treat her like a child and take care of her and spoil her.. she's a dog who likes to chase cats.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
So the old rivalry between cats/dogs doesn't play well in todays society?

She likes to chase them and bark, it's in her nature... who am I to argue?

Yes I don't like cats, used to love them to death but I can't stand stray cats and we have about 4-5 of them ****ting and pissing all over the place, scratching the hoods of the cars outside, fighting all night long...

yea I'll probably be more carefull when she wants to play with a cat next time but you have to remember that even thought I treat her like a child and take care of her and spoil her.. she's a dog who likes to chase cats.
my dog loves to chase cats doesn't mean I let him do it.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I have five cats at my mom's house...

1. They bury their poop

2. They pee in the grass

3. They sleep on ALL of our different cars ( we have a blue, red, silver, and white one) and have done so for ten years...we have yet to get a scratch on any of them.

4. Cats fighting can't be louder then dogs barking.

I feel like none of your arguments are a valid reason to have your dog attack a cat.

Call animal control...or catch them yourself and take them to a shelter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know if you live in a city or county area, but either way, there are agencies/rescues you can call who will come trap and remove the cats…..

Most dogs will chase cats or other small animals, especially if they run away. Next time it might be a small child who runs away from your dog, and more than likely your dog will give chase….. off leash you would not be able to stop this in time…..

Fully thinking through the consequences of your actions might be needed.

Sorry not trying to really get on your case, but just to get you to look at all the possible outcomes of encouraging the dog to chase things that run…..

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
So the old rivalry between cats/dogs doesn't play well in todays society? She likes to chase them and bark, it's in her nature... who am I to argue?
You can't possibly be serious, so I guess we all should realize that you are trying to put us all on with your comments.

Unless you think that you must let your dog "follow it's nature". Think of all the other things that dogs like to do because it is "in their nature".

I think if you are going to let your poor dog go after cats (maybe 8 -15lbs probably); then you ought to see if you can teach her how to do it without getting all cut up. Or maybe just restrict "his nature" to just going after kittens so that your dog won't get hurt itself!

Just thinking of your comments, how would you feel if your dog was attacked by a much bigger/tougher dog while they were out trying to chase a cat. After all it might be just in the big dog's nature to chase and kill all the GSD's that it could find. That would be ok with you, that your dog is killed by a bigger tougher animal because after all, "it is in their nature!".

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
As a cat owner (indoor cats) and cat lover, I am appalled that you encourage this behavior in your dog. Shame on you!
I feel sorry for the dog getting injured, but glad the cat defended himself.
You got what you deserved. Hopefully you'll think twice now that your wallet has been hit!

This statement sickens me.
Me too, and I don't even like cats that much.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My old collie was a certified cat killer. He was a rescue and came to us that way. Doesn't mean that we didn't put in a massive training effort to curb the behavior. One day he chased the neighbors cat and bit it right in front of our neighbor. He punctured both of the cats lungs. You want to see vet bills?

Just because he's currently going after strays right now, doesn't mean that he won't attack a neighbors pet. Furthermore if someone sees you encouraging your dog to attack small animals, you can be charged with animal cruelty and your dog may be removed from your home. Also, cats can carry rabies and other nasty illnesses, you don't want to expose your dog to those.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I don't think it matters if you dislike cats or your dog likes to chase them....thats not the point. The point is those cats may be someone's pet and if not they are still living animals just like your dog and you. They deserve the same amount of respect and humane interaction you would want for your dog and self. Don't let your dog chase cats- it's a simple thing to stop especially with your dog on a leash. I feel sorry for your pup, but the dent in your wallet was much deserved;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it was deserved.. hahahaha

I just wanted my dog to be ok. I'm more carefull now but I got to git rid of the strays. I've seen my neighbors with scratches on their hoods and roof.

I won't even get into the chickens/rooster on the other side of the wall in a residential area with a rooster crowing at the crack of Fn dawn every day.

Cats.. can't stand em anymore. Loyal to whoever is petting/feeding them at the moment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The money I spent wasn't nearly as depressing as seeing Daisy like this. She had that "being punished" look that hurt more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts