German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was told last night Daisy may have DM. She has some issues in the hip area that make her vet think she has lost some mobility ,her back paws are curling and she drags her back paws a few times a week. She also lost control of her bowels while she was try to get up from the floor. Her hips appeared to be out of position and she needed help . This happened twice in 24 hrs both times while we were helping her get up. She is on Dasuquin,2 aday. Due to her episode of pancreatitis he does not want to use anti inflamatories unless he has to. We discussed she doent appear to be in pain. she is alert and has an appetite for home cooked or kibble if necessary. He wants her to be get lots of things she wants and avoid stairs. Thank god we are moving no steps for Miss Daisy there. What else can I do? She gave everybody kisses last night and was only half as nervous as she usually is at the vets.He also said that her weight is very good 65lbs and that is helping her cope better. I was wondering are there any herbal remedies that help movement and decrease pain that will be ok for a senior girl who had an episode of pancreatitis 7 months ago ? It could be many things and he said that continued testing might give a more complete answer but he didnt think based on her age that there were alot of options.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I am sorry to hear this.
What testing has he done? How quickly did it come about?

Have you sent in the genetic test for it (it is cheaper and just as fast if you do it through OFA than if you pay the vet to send in a blood draw)?
Has he tried prednisone or done any x-rays -- If it is injury, prednisone may help

When Grim developed rear leg wobbliness I found out there are all kinds of things it could be.

DM (available genetic test but it is somewhat controversial as to whether they are testing the right genetic marker)
Spinal Stroke (FCE) typically a sudden injury displaying unilaterally (don't know how they diagnose - they ruled that out for us though)
Tumor (myelogram or MRI for defiitive diagnosis)
Disc Compression (that is what we think Grim had) (need myelogram of MRI for defninitve diagnosis)
Arthritis / Spondylosis (x rays will tell that one and that is what caused problems for Linus another GSD I had)
Tick Diseases - Can cause chronic neurological issues and there are many emerging issues. There are diagnostic tick panels.

We never walked away with a definitive diagnosis for Grim and even with a DM test result of "carrier" the vet still thinks it "could be" DM. That said, we are doing acupuncture and giving some of the supplements recommend by Dr Clemmons (not all-google Jack Flash DM - as well as some Oriental Medicines given by a holistic vet.

Unfortunately the diagnosis of DM comes about when everything else is elminated.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joycoyn. Ill explore the testing w/ OFA. He hasnt done any testing he's based it on the her curling her toes,the slowly( over a two to three month period) increasing weakness in her back legs and her bowel incontience. She could get into the truck w/ out a ramp in October her last check up.She is very alert but has episodes where she appears confused and lost. After looking at video from the Chesapeake bay retrievers I was pretty upset. Daisy does not have any movement like that. She based on past GI issues and her epiode w/ pancreatitis in August of 2011may not be able to tolerate anti inflamatories. I'm going to talk to her old vet and my neighbor who is a vet iver the weekend.He didnt mention steroids.No e rays since last summer that showed some dyplacia in the hip ,thinking it was on the right.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.
It does sound like DM vs. FCE or any of the others, unfortunately :(
:hugs:

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everybody!

White Shepherd,The link to 4:1 harness Im ordering it.Daisy says thank you and she knows she has lots of support.

MSVETTE: Thanks ,Last night I spent several hours trying to research. Everything sounds like it could be what she has and then it all sounds like DM.

I hope w/ the Dasquinn and a one level house and lots of EILIF,Daisy will have a golden retirement w/ no more sitting for treats.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was wondering are there any herbal remedies that help movement and decrease pain that will be ok for a senior girl who had an episode of pancreatitis 7 months ago ? It could be many things and he said that continued testing might give a more complete answer but he didnt think based on her age that there were alot of options.
Sorry to hear about this. We lost Shadow to DM just before Thanksgiving. I don't know of any herbals, but we did find Vitamine E, that our vet recommended, seemed to help.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm sorry you and Daisy are going through this.

Our old GSD had DM about 6/7 years ago. She remained reasonably active for 2/3 years - just needed help sometimes getting up steps. We then got her a wheelchair - she loved that.

All best wishes

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody.Pattycakes Ive read Jack Flashes page and some of the other sites.It gave alot of information.Will order the harness today or tommorrow. I keep hoping and praying its arthritis or some thing else. Daisy has always beat everything even when they said she wouldnt.
Thanks Loneforce and GSDLover II,Daisy is up and about moving well and trying to convince us its time for her scrambed eggs.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just added DrCpage to my favorite's bar. Looking at the diet ,we can do that. We can feed the fish oil and mussels /sardines. The excercise we are almost there but not quite. She cant do NSAID's due to her history so Ill go to the health store tommorrow.His diet page cant hurt right? There is alot of info but no real answers but my god the GSD has so many health issues ,some Id never heard of. DM is an auto-immune diseasde. Daisy had parvo which I saw as a question on one of the surveys.
So here is my plan :
Return to home cooked w/ addition of Tofu soybean
Use ginger,mustard stuff on food and get a solid regimen of excercise and look for stuff to make her life easier and I dont know .
As Im reading this stuff really think Dodger had DM but its not known for lab/pitbulls right?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She's ok. I still need to get her tested. We are feeding sardines and fish oil w/ her food and getting alot more home cooked. She could guilt me always into home cooked. We've been trying to get her to execise more and hopefully get her out to the future new house to walk the property. She has spent the last two days teasing her brother and being daisy monster.. I have to say I keep praying its just hip dysplacia. She's on her Dasquinn and doesnt refuse it, she is a known pill/ med cheeker. She played outside yesterday and took the ball from Lucky on throws.Daisy is my first dog that is mine and i had from a puppy. We will switch to revolution as heartgard and other HW can increase the immune response. Didnt realize DM is a autoimmune disorder.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If it is DM. Ask your vet about amicar. It didn't help my last GS Genesis who had DM. But in some cases the drug can slow or even nearly stop the progression of the disease. Although there is only about a 20% chance of the drug working it's worth at least trying.....

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Fade2Black. Ill ask him this week about amicar. We were looking at Tramadol.She shows no pain but if we slow the progression down tha's what we want..When I take Lucky in for his checkup Ill ask.. She has been active the past couple days. She ran the fence line as the neighbors cattle fence was put up ,everybody talked to her and she ran for over an hour and then came in got onher loveset w/ a pillow and slept like a rock. She also takled her brother while he was airborne. She can still be Attila the hound.
Rebel I need to watch those videos. Thank You.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts