German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now been through our second class. Emma did great.

We got there without her being car sick, However, she refused to get out of the truck and tried to hide on the floor in the back seat area. Treats did not work to coax her out either. I drive a crew cab dually with her up front. It was tough digging her out as she wedged her self in to not be pulled out. Any thoughts on this? She is Ok getting in, but I haft to pick her up.

However once out she was fine, but seemed a little tired (tummy was probably upset I am guessing)

She actually played during social time :D:D:D:D This was a big deal for her (and me)
The little mutt with teeth was even braver coming out from under the chair, but hostial. Emma just layed down and watched the show. Emma's litter mate did get a bit aggressive toward him and his fear barking/ biting. She had to be taken out for a time out.

Emma was perfect on lesson one review Sit, down, look at me.
Lesson two was the Come and leash walk, along with sit until released, and down until released. We also tried to practice wait at doors. Emma needs work on that.....right now it is me first:eek::D in a big rush.

I learned how to use the leash and long line correctly on the come command training. Emma is improving. Trainer noticed that at least I was getting her head turn recognition consistently, just not her moving the rest of her in the correct direction:crazy::D. Well we will work on that:laugh:.

I also learned the correct way to correct her pulling on the leash, without resorting to another collar. Emma was much better after class. The trainer showed me how, but Emma was being a pain trying to come to me, always trying to pull away from her. But she did get over her separation issue. Were working on that at home too.

Trainer also had us pass our dog off to each other (except MR Teeth) Trainer held him. Was good to see Emma was OK with this. She seemed to enjoy the others attention and treats.

Speaking of after class, we walked around the storoe and Emma did great meeting new dogs and even kids (up to now she was barking at them). A little apprehensive, but no barking and willing to be petted (I had a firm hold on her collar)

Trip home was good too until I pulled in the drive, then :eek::eek::eek: sick again. Next class I will withhold the food starting at noon - class is at 4. I picked it up at 2 this time.

I need to think of a trick to teach her for graduation. She already knows shake, so I cant use that. Suggestions and instructions on how to do:D.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Congrats, no pic to share with us?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look for my post on the black face dots. I don't have a camera - need to depend on the kids. I guess I need to get one, but have no idea what one is good.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Sounds like a good start!

A fun and easy trick is "dead." Put the dog in a down position then lure them to lie onto their side using a treat, mark with a clicker or marker word. Once they get the idea make it snappier and have them "flop" onto their side like they were shot by luring faster with enthusiasm

If you have extra time get them to do it from a sitting position, much more dramatic ;)

Or do a weave with her, having her weave between your legs as you take steps. Very simple luring and lots of fun

Just some suggestions :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - Ill try the dead. I think I saw a video here somewhere on that. I was also going to try a high 5, but not sure how to. Ill search that one in the how to train section.

She already does the weave (well it more get under daddy's feet thing:crazy::laugh:) - I step on her toes though. :D

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts