German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Emma went to her first puppy class today. Wow am I proud.

I thought Emma was going to be a freaked out dog, but she did pretty well. Got to the pet store early and walked around. Emma was a bit afraid, until we got to the bone and treat isle:eek::D. Then she really perked up - had a bit of a time getting her to sniff only (reminded me of my kids way back when on the don't touch :D. She barked a bit at the people and dogs, but not a fear bark.

Class consisted of a chihuahua mix (sp) (little runt with teeth), a poodle mix, and one of Emma's litter mates (this was a surprise for both of us, but the birth dates don't match - were off by a week or so). Neither seemed to recognize the other though. She is related to the breeder so will get this clarified. During the social period, Emma actually started to play, first with the poodle mix, then her litter mate. Took a bit, but went well. The little runt with teeth would not play at all, just hid under the chair and growled the whole time. Also not much barking out of Emma and she responded the the Quiet/Hush command.

Its a good thing I have been working on her bite inhibition, as it worked well to quiet her. I put my hand on her nose mouth which worked well. Trainer thought we should work on no mouthing at all. Total prevention of Emma or any dog putting a hand or fingers or any body part in their mouths, She is a positive reinforcement trainer and if the biting/mouthing happens to stop play and ignore.

Started out with Sit (Emma was a bit distracted, but did good), then watch me, trainer wanted each dog to look at our face/eyes for direction (we were to try and get a long hold/look from our dogs (Emma did great even though it was totally new) then Down (Emma good) and finally the trainer had them go through a 3 foot tunnel. At first Emma was scared, but did it. She let the trainer lead her on the leash - her litter mate froze when she tried to lead her. Second time she did it like a champ.

Home work - work on the commands, and take Emma to at least 2 new places. also get Emma used to be handled all over their bodies (already do this with Emma).

I also need to work on picking a release command - thinking of using OK. Thoughts on this word?

Overall I am very very very happy with how Emma behaved :wub::wub::wub::wub:- she is a different girl.:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sounds like it went very well for your first class, also proud of you and Emma!!!!

what a fun time :]

She'll be even better next time. I also have a hard time keeping mine's mouth off the bones in the bone aisle ;]

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when your dog mouths something in the bone isle
you could teach her "get something", "go get something" or whatever
phrase you want. when my dog mouthed something i used both
phrases above. finally we reached a point where i could unleash
him in an isle and say "get something" and he would go and get something.
i always bought him something. it might not have been what he picked
out but i don't think that matters because he got something. after he
picks something i leash him and he carries his item to the register.
if you teach your dog this make sure your dog doesn't jump for
something.

Sounds like it went very well for your first class, also proud of you and Emma!!!!

what a fun time :]

She'll be even better next time. I also have a hard time keeping mine's mouth off the bones in the bone aisle ;]

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I agree with Twyla. I use ok with Fiona and as it ends up ok is my filler word. The word I put in instead of uh. How about release or free or okey dokey?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yea for a great class :)

We use 'all done' as our release command.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I remember at herding the guy said "that'll do". Of course, Fiona thought that meant keep doing it, instead of stop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I suggest picking another word to use for your release? How many times a day do you say 'ok' in general conversation?
I don't say OK very often in public (I can thank my Mother:D:crazy: for that;)). However I do hear a lot of others saying it.

The only time I use OK in anything else with her it to comfort her if something is wrong, like getting a toe stepped on or if she is really scared (she come running up to cuddle). I use it as "It's OK, or "Your OK, settle down".

When I praise her it is "Good Girl", "Yes", "You Did It", "Way to go". I use Yes a lot on a correct response....also "No"...probably too much

Wife suggested "Go Play" but I want that one for her to know she can run off somewhere.

What about French, Spanish, or German words such as "Oui", "Si", "Ja" etc for Yes as a release word? PS how is JA pronounced in English? is the J silent as in Spanish?

So far I have "OK", "Release", "Done"....trying to find something simple my old mind will remember easily that wont need to be used later in other training. Is "Release" such a word, or is there a German replacement for that.I have heard it used in bite training (where dog bites the padded arm)

What about a hand motion or sound to go with the command. The lady with the death pit bull mix at the puppy social used hand signals along with the vibrating collar. I was thinking of snapping my fingers as part of the release.

She is getting real good at the "watch me" This morning she held eye contact as I walked around her - a good 20 seconds or more. But she was stubborn on the "Down" She did "Sit" but it was slow.....of course she was also vocal...I'm sure it was OK if I haft to :D

Thanks for any help....please keep the release suggestions coming.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
A different language is a good idea. Much less chance of confusion for pup, since it wouldn't be an everyday word he hears. Woolf's trainer breeds and competes bouviers, all of their commands are in French. There is absolutely no confusion for her dogs and Woolf when both are on the field.

What about 'free' or 'break' as your release in another language since you have that option?

·
Registered
280 Posts
We have never had a problem using OK as our release word with Jade and I use it all the time!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use the word "okay" with Tess and I've never had a problem with it, she understands it very well. If I want to release her from training and am done working with her, I use "free dog" and she runs off and plays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts