German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with this injection? We have struggled with our 8 yr old GSD scratching all the time. We had him tested, and he is allergic to many many things, including dust mites and Bermuda grass, which is hard to control. He has been on limited ingredient dog food and monthly allergy shots for years, which help some but not great. Then we tried the cytopoint injection last year, and he is a new dog. No scratching at all, very relaxed sleeping, he seems like he feels SO much better. The shot is not cheap, about $120, and it lasts about 3 months before he starts scratching again and needs another injection. He no longer gets the monthly allergy shots, and we are very pleased with the results from the cytopoint injections. I'm curious if anybody else has tried this treatment? Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
31,099 Posts
Yes. Love them. I have the same results with my dog but I am keeping him on the monthly allergy shots because that helps control nasal congestion reactions. He gets 4-6 months relief from the incessant itching.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Cytopoint was a lifesaver for my last boy. He had dust mite allergies also and good luck controlling them in the environment! His shot lasted 10 to 12 weeks and stopped the cycle of itch, scratch, skin infection, antibiotic finally and gave him a good quality of life for his last couple of years. He still needed biweekly bathing with chlorhexidine shampoo though, as his immune system wasn't working well at that point.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
My 10 year old female had a single Cytopoint shot in summer of 2018 and has been managing well with just an occasional chlrohex shampooing. I was ready to have another shot done last year, but she never developed any serious itching since.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I went to cytopoint this year when Jazz' itching started up again this past Fall. Works wonderfully and well worth it. Jazz has had two shots over the winter to keep the itching under control. Her itch cycle is from Sept to April and this is the first winter where she has not had to endure the constant itch.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
It was suggested to me when my puppy developed a flea allergy and ruined his new adult coat in his trunk area. I saw NO fleas or evidence of fleas but the vet ran a comb down him and found a tiny live one.
It helped immediately and there were no side effects from the cytopoint.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My 10 year old female had a single Cytopoint shot in summer of 2018 and has been managing well with just an occasional chlrohex shampooing. I was ready to have another shot done last year, but she never developed any serious itching since.
Where do you get the Chlrohex shampoo?

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
The cytopoint injection works great Luna gets the injection in November and February something in the winter makes her itchy. It can be possible dust mites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts