German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog has a cyst on her neck that is swelling and is fairly big. i believe the swelling happened because of the collar constantly rubbing against the cyst when i give her walks with the leash. the cyst now looks swollen and is red, i was wondering if this swelling of the cyst is something i should be concerned about as i am coming to conclusion that this swelling has caused the cyst to turn into a tumor or cancer. i am very worried, please help.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Do you know for sure that it's a cyst?

I'm not a vet but I have had two dogs that have had cysts and on both occasions I had them surgically removed as I've been told they won't just disappear on their own.

The swelling might just be the cyst growing bigger, which I believe they do if they are not either drained or removed ( I think they return if they are drained though). It is possible that the collar will cause a problem if it is rubbing, maybe you could switch to a harness or halti until it's sorted?

I don't know about it turning cancerous, that seems unlikely to me although as I said, I'm no vet!

I would definitely speak to a vet and get some advice on the best thing to do :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we checked it out already and the vet confirmed it was a cyst and began treated the cyst and it was on the verge of going away. after that it was just a hard bump. and i guess over time the collar impacted the cyst causing it to swell. it basically grew and is now red

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Antibiotics may be in order.
I wonder if you could soften it with coconut oil for a few days. Give it a chance to pop.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
Take the collar off and use a harness until it heals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Chances are it's a sebaceous cyst, which are more annoying than harmful, but have it identified to be sure and in that spot it may have to be removed because it will keep returning, opening, draining, etc. I just dealt with one last year.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If it's getting larger I would go back to the vet. On both occasions when I brought two different dogs in for bumps I was told keep an eye on them, but if they get larger come back. My dogs bumps went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts