German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear you all talk of these a lot and have even seen some in your pictures. A couple weeks ago I saw one in the store...it was not as sturdy seeming as I thought it would be. Do you, that have them, feel they are sturdy? Do they hold up well to the GSD?

Mandalay has a hyperstick that she got at Christmas and she has managed to start to break into it now. I am thrilled it lasted this long and I have been thinking of buying some more.

The basketball lasted 4.2 seconds.

Frisbees (which she LOVES) last 6.3 seconds.

Her Jolly Ball (it is actually the one with the rope through the middle) has lasted since her bday last January. The rope from the middle lasted 9 minutes before she untied it, pulled it out and destroyed it.

Her rough and rugged adult toy looking toy has lasted since about March and is doing good so far.

Her Kong she has had since she was a pup, but it has only been in the last few weeks that she has started paying attention to it, so who knows when she'll chew through that.

I want to get her different toys, but she is so rough with them that they are ripped and torn apart in minutes.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, it is a ball with feet and different expressions. This is the "bad" cuz.

Dino Cuz:

Good Cuz

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Man Shadow LOVES the one I just bought him. He is not that rough on his toys though.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
The good and bad Cuz are stronger than the Dino Cuz. The large ones last longer than the Med ones simply because they really fill a GSD's mouth. I have several that are de-squeakered but they are still in tact. Feet often are expendable.

In a nut shell- they can take a licking but there are no guarantees.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I can't believe how sturdy these toys are, and how much my dogs love them! They prefer to play with them over any other toy, even with the squeakers gone in them. The bad cuzzes have had the tip of their horns nibbled down, but they all still have their feet.

Did you know that a Cuz will remain pliable and bouncy even if being played with outside in minus 30 Celcius weather and covered in frozen dog drool?

Did you know that a Large Good Cuz will still be going strong (minus the squeaker - but no big loss!), if over-wintered for several months under 3 feet of snow and said temperatures up to -30C?

I'm a believer - other toys I pic up and put away because I don't want them chewed to pieces, Cuzzes I don't worry about.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I only buy medium Cuz. My GSD didn't like the large cuz much, and my little dogs don't like the little Cuz. Go figure.

The squeakers do die off eventually. I think it's that canine teeth poke through them (although I hear terrible stories of nefarious owners attacking the squeakers with knives in the dark of night to shut them up
). But I just bought half dozen Cuz myself (A catalog had them on sale). I've never had a dog chew off the feet, horns, or otherwise damage the things.

Dyno-Cuz has had their tails bobbed though.

We've been moving furniture and doing some major clean-up. I've found Cuz stashed in the funniest places. Camper used to like to put his in shoes for safe keeping. Every morning, we'd wake up to Cuz in our shoes. This week, I cleaned out a closet and found several in our snow boots.

Octo-Cuz and Fish-Cuz are also very cool and worth looking into. http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Ruffians-Octopus-Large/dp/B000G6QGPQ

I've never seen the Chicken Cuz til just now. I might have to buy one, since Meri loves rubber chicken toys.....

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Cuzzes are great and withstand the great, just either don't buy the ones with feet or make sure you cut them off before giving to the dogs!

Randy's dogs are all with cuzzes with no feet. They also have a great bone which squeeks and you can tug with : )

Tanya

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought a large good cuz because everyone here swears by them. Baron will not touch it. I got him the horse sized jolly ball, and he likes it, now that he has completely chewed the handle off. He is a purist when it comes to his balls. They must be round. Any protrusions must be removed or the toy will be ignored.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Anna's bad Cuz still has feet and horns. He's a little faded since he's an ouside toy, but he's still going strong. We've had him since she was four months old, and she loves to chase the bouncy thing all over the yard....Cuz even survived being left in her kiddie pool and water in his squeaker, but he's back to his loud self. A def must have toy!

BTW, we also have the medium.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
winter freeze!

Originally Posted By: Castlemaid

Did you know that a Cuz will remain pliable and bouncy even if being played with outside in minus 30 Celcius weather and covered in frozen dog drool?

Did you know that a Large Good Cuz will still be going strong (minus the squeaker - but no big loss!), if over-wintered for several months under 3 feet of snow and said temperatures up to -30C?
Sooo true! What about staying buried the whole winter under snow!? Lola has a few of those left behind. LOL. They are her most favourite toys (I usually have to hide them or else she will put them put on my lap no matter where I'm sitting!)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Re: winter freeze!

Gracie hates hers - she has a bad cuz and a dino cuz. Maybe I'll try taking them outside. She won't play with them inside.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I take Kessy to the pet store every once in a while to pick out a new toy. Every single time, she searches through the rack of toys, up and down the aisle, and picks out a cuz.

They don't last forever, but even with the feet chewed off and the squeaker gone, the dogs still love them. I don't like to leave them with any toy unsupervised, but supervised play is fine!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I should clarify my large vs medium Cuz. The only Cuz of mine that lost his feet was a medium one. Kanuck (Husky not GSD) is the one that was found guilty of defeeting (pun intended) the first med Cuz. My guys do actually have both Med and Lge.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
I have a bunch of them - good bad and dino - LOL Basha got a dino from two of her sons we were visiting 2 years ago - she still has it....I will say the cuz is far more durable than the big planet orbees - Csabre destroyed Venus and luna balls this week - I just got a sol....if it is in pieces by this time next week, then no more of those -

Lee

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky has a large good cuz, and he doesnt not like it. he will play with it only if there are no other balls in his toy box. His has held up very well and still looks brand new..LOL I think he has had it for about 18 months

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan has one particular cuz she loves, the huge evil cuz that makes a farting noise. We have 3 other ones, that one is hers. Otto plays with them sometimes but the green and black ball on the right below is his favorite. It's about the size of a tennis ball and has a similar bounce.

He has 2 of them - I buy 2 of everything so they don't fight - and they've lasted since xmas.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom(although I hear terrible stories of nefarious owners attacking the squeakers with knives in the dark of night to shut them up
).
Say it isn't so....

Originally Posted By: 3K9MomCamper used to like to put his in shoes for safe keeping. Every morning, we'd wake up to Cuz in our shoes. This week, I cleaned out a closet and found several in our snow boots.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Lol Barb E. that's such a cute picture. He's like "It wasn't me I swear!!"

Denali loves her medium good cuz. She loves chewing the feet. They squeak reallllllyyyyyyy loud though. Loud enough that Denali will bark at it when it squeaks lol. It's cute!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts