German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge of or experience with cutaneous hemangiosarcoma or Hemangiomas?

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Unfortunately yes. Dermal? On my Italian Greyhound Boz. He had many of them removed. He ultimately died of hemangiosarcoma, when it went to his heart.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately yes. Dermal? On my Italian Greyhound Boz. He had many of them removed. He ultimately died of hemangiosarcoma, when it went to his heart.
Sorry to hear of this. Was there more than one surgery?

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Yes, he had one taken off on the inside of his thigh. Then about two years later they started popping up. He had several surgeries to remove them. They were small, and red or blackish.

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Carly's litter sister recently had a large hemangioma removed near her elbow. She’s all healed up and doing great.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, he had one taken off on the inside of his thigh. Then about two years later they started popping up. He had several surgeries to remove them. They were small, and red or blackish.
Tuke has a pea size tumor of some sort on her back, it's dark red to black. So far It has not changed in size since I found it a couple weeks ago Our vet said it was suspect and recommended removal/biopsy. We have an appointment, however it's a month out so I'm looking at other options.

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Tuke has a pea size tumor of some sort on her back, it's dark red to black. So far It has not changed in size since I found it a couple weeks ago Our vet said it was suspect and recommended removal/biopsy. We have an appointment, however it's a month out so I'm looking at other options.
Boz's first tumor was pea sized too. My vet wanted it off and biopsied ASAP. It turned out to be a hemangiosarcoma. Did your vet say why they wanted to wait?
They aren’t uncommon in white dogs, which is what my IG was, so I was on the lookout for them.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boz's first tumor was pea sized too. My vet wanted it off and biopsied ASAP. It turned out to be a hemangiosarcoma. Did your vet say why they wanted to wait?
They aren’t uncommon in white dogs, which is what my IG was, so I was on the lookout for them.
The office is typically ridiculously busy, that and the office has just changed ownership may be factoring in as well. The owning vet retired and sold the practice to one of the remaining vets so it's staying private and not a Corp buy out. We have several friends recommending a vet they've used and trusted and I'm calling WSU today to see if that is an option.

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
My vet’s office has been crazy busy as well, and hard to get an appointment too. Well, at the very least, if you can get it removed sooner then you won’t just worry about it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
WSU might be a really good option because you can get an oncologist on the team right away along with the surgeon.

The great hope for the future of hemangio treatment right now is custom immunotherapy -- they use the extracted tumor to custom-manufacture a cancer "vaccine" to try to get the immune system to seek and destroy the exact DNA of the cancer the dog has. Most hemangio dogs currently can't access it because the general practice vet who removed the tumor didn't know about the possible use for it and threw it out.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did they look anything like this?

The immunotherapy sounds promising. I’m still waiting to hear back from WSU. I think the section that deals with soft tissue was out or something.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Actually, yes, some of them looked like that. Others were a deep red. Different sizes but none bigger than a pea. Boz had quite a few. Like I said before, my dog was white, and in iggies that means an increased risk of hemangiosarcomas. I haven’t seen a dog with that many before.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably just a coincidence, but it's the same spot she had her one and only hot spot years ago. Some article say sun exposure can be a factor, however Tuke is mostly inside and when she is outside she usually seeks out shade.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scheduling mix up, but may be good news. I showed up for morning drop off prepared to pick her up this afternoon post op, however with the mix up Tuke was not on today's schedule. Our usual vet asked to examine her and took her in back. Tuke returned with the suspect area shaved revealing that she had removed whatever the lump was herself. This must have happened some time since Friday as it was still intact then. What remained left our vet thinking it that may be a cyst.

The shaved area also revealed that she had a large scar running through the same area and our vet asked if she had had surgery or stitches to which I had no reply. She was spayed at 6 months and that's the only surgery she's ever had. I have noticed she has a divot when you pet her there, but didn't know why. I've jokingly told my wife maybe aliens stole one of her kidneys, but seriously I can think of a single incident that would have produced that size of scar, really strange.

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
Well it sounds like good news to me. And it’s really weird about the scar. There’s no telling!

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gave Tuke a bath and discovered more showing up on her abdomin and inner thigh area. They're smaller than the first one I discovered, but very similar in appearance.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I gave Tuke a bath and discovered more showing up on her abdomin and inner thigh area. They're smaller than the first one I discovered, but very similar in appearance.
I've been watching your thread and hope for the best. Maybe if another has to be biopsied or removed you can request that they save the tissue just in case per what Magwart said in her reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts