German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who works for a local machine shop and they offered to build me a free custom crate from my shepherd who is in SAR training. They provided me with a drawing of the crate, but I was wondering if it would be big enough? The crate was designed so I did not have to put down my back seat. The crate is 28" deep, 38" wide, 28" tall, with the top being tapered to 20" deep so it will clear my hatch on my suv. My dog is 8 months old, 75 lbs. and is 26" tall to her back. Do you think she would outgrow it or should I change the design?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have not had one that tall.I think you are good on the 28inch depth and my dog who is 24 at the shoulder does fine in a 38 inch long crate but if you can expand that dimension I would. Sometimes that is building a platform just above the wheels because your space there limits the width. Platform is good for extra gear.

The height should be fine. It is good for a transport crate to be a little lower which encourages more lay down time. Dog boxes are that way.

That is one great friend! If he can put a lock on the door that is good. One thing I hate about SUVs is having to leave them wide open to keep the dog cool!

·
Registered
990 Posts
That looks really good!! :) I think those dimensions will be fine if thats all you can fit in the car. Mine are a bit shorter than that and both dogs fit :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts