German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just sent me this. General gets an egg mixed into his food every other day...well this is apparently the new norm on “off” days. He will sit there for hours before he finally gives in and eats it! Spoiled much?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My guy does that with eggs too... i've tried scrambled, raw, half cooked, sunny side up.. apparently he enjoys hard boiled now because he can carry it around like a ball for an hour or so and when it breaks then he will eat it. :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
He’s not spoiled. If he won’t eat something, stop feeding it. It may be making him feel sick or he may be developing an allergy. Something is stopping him from wanting the food.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He’s not spoiled. If he won’t eat something, stop feeding it. It may be making him feel sick or he may be developing an allergy. Something is stopping him from wanting the food.
It's definitely just wanting the egg. He doesn't do his protest if I am the one to feed him but that's because I've never given him the eggs. He only does it if my wife feeds him and leaves out the egg.

She is typically the one to feed in the mornings (when she will give an egg every other day) and I am the one to feed in the evening. He will eat right away if I put the food down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guy does that with eggs too... i've tried scrambled, raw, half cooked, sunny side up.. apparently he enjoys hard boiled now because he can carry it around like a ball for an hour or so and when it breaks then he will eat it. :rolleyes: .
HAHAHA! Ok, gonna have to try hard boiled now just to see if he babies the egg!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Oh, he wants the egg and she didn’t give him one? I misunderstood. One of my dogs refused food and it turned out, had a medical emergency.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Inga will raid the henhouse and steal eggs if I leave the door open. In the South this is referred to as sucking eggs.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
Ha, ha! Well-trained owner! He shows/teaches you how 'waiting it out' works; either you take away the food or give in and give him that egg. It It doesn't look like he will starve himself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, ha! Well-trained owner! He shows/teaches you how 'waiting it out' works; either you take away the food or give in and give him that egg. It It doesn't look like he will starve himself.

And what’s funny is when we have picked up his food, he goes over to the laundry room where we’ve set it up and sits there looking at it. As if he’s saying “Ok, I’m sorry I poured about the food, can I have it back?”

He has so much personality!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Haha, funny dog!

I give my guy a whole, raw egg still in the shell... he is so careful with it, takes it gently, put it down on the grass and licks and licks and licks for ages until he gets bored with that then he picks it up and drops it on the concrete and gets the good stuff inside.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, funny dog!

I give my guy a whole, raw egg still in the shell... he is so careful with it, takes it gently, put it down on the grass and licks and licks and licks for ages until he gets bored with that then he picks it up and drops it on the concrete and gets the good stuff inside.

Do you worry about him eating the shell? I know there is some mixed info about whether or not it’s ok.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd not heard of anything bad with regards to shells... I've only heard good things... good source of protein and calcium.

Whats bad about the shells?

I don’t remember now...I’d have to find it. My wife typically just cracks the raw egg and tosses the shell.

That’s good to know about the shell. We’ll try it this week.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don’t remember now...I’d have to find it. My wife typically just cracks the raw egg and tosses the shell.

That’s good to know about the shell. We’ll try it this week.
I could be wrong, or living under a rock... I hadn't really given it much thought and the eggs in the US could be treated differently to the eggs in AUS. What I'm getting at is your wife might be right, perhaps some research is required.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that for a growing puppy it's pretty important to maintain a calcium to phosphorus ratio. So, if you're feeding a kibble diet, it might be best to continue to toss the shells.

I grew up on a farm, and we always had an abundance of eggs. So with every dog I've ever had I gave them 1 raw egg per day...always in the morning. My current pup is 19 months, and she's had a raw egg in her breakfast since the day I brought her home. No shell, and occasionally I'll sort of strain out the egg white, but it's worked well for her and I can't count how many dogs before her!

At any rate, before adding the she'll to her diet, read up on the calcium to phosphorus ratio that's recommended and make your choice based on that!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
They are so funny sometimes!

I have fed my dog Earthborne for a lot of years but Rocky, at first, was ho-hum about it. Then, he started not eating until I put some little goody on top of it. I tried their various flavors to no avail. Finally, I thought I would just try a small bag of something different and see what happened. I got a small bag of Natural Balance limited ingredient potato and duck and he started diving into his food. In his case, I just don't think he liked Earthborne. I like to see a dog with a good appetite enjoying his food so I bought a big bag this last time.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
I give them a whole egg (from free ranging, local chickens) a few times a week, shell and all. Never see anything back in the poop. I once had a dog who, after I caught him red-handed, had been eating/stealing about 7 eggs a day for a few weeks. Never saw anything of a problem with these breakfasts of his. I thought the chickens had stopped laying.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Raw eggs with the shell actually have an ideal balance of calcium and phosphorus. You will not be adding too much calcium if you feed them whole. The only way you could be adding too much calcium would be if you only fed the shells. You’re technically screwing up the ratio the other way if you don’t feed shells. That said, an egg added to kibble here and there is not likely to mess anything up, regardless of how you feed it. But you’re missing out on adding a “perfect” food to their meal if you exclude the shell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts